Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!

I'm back home in Memphis after a day of STUFFING MY FACE in Jonesboro, Arkansas with my family. We had a pared-down Thanksgiving celebration this year since my Granny was in Nashville visiting my cousin Tiffaney's family, and the other random family members who pop in some years were all doing their own thing.

So it was just me, my mama and daddy, my me-maw, and Paul. I really meant to get pictures of everyone, but I was so full that I forgot. Thankfully, Paul at least convinced me to get off my over-stuffed butt and take this pic of us. I'm wearing my "Save a Turkey, Eat Tofu" shirt that I used to wear every Thanksgiving for years. I retired it a couple years ago, because I realized every Thanksgiving picture from every year has me wearing the same thing. But I figured it was time to bring it back. Also, Paul realized later that he's wearing the same shirt he wore last year. Oh well.


There are no pictures of my parents or me-maw. But of course, like a good food blogger, I didn't forget the food photos. Every year, I have some sort of vegan roast. I try to mix it up between Tofurky, Gardein, and Field Roast. This year, I went with Tofurky because it was on sale. And who doesn't love a classic Tofurky?


My mama makes all the side dishes vegan, so I can eat them, too. Her Vegan Dressin' is basically the best thing on Earth. Everyone looks forward to my mama's dressin' every year. I'm so glad she sent me home with almost a whole pan for leftovers! 

By the way, if you're reading this and you're not from the South, you should know that dressin' and stuffing are two different things. Down here, we eat dressin' made with cornbread instead of stuffing made with torn bits of stale bread. It tends to be more moist than stuffing. I love stuffing too, but on Thanksgiving, the dressin' is the most essential part of the Southern meal.


Hash Brown Casserole is a Thanksgiving staple for us. My mama makes it vegan with Daiya cheddar, homemade non-dairy cream of celery soup, and Earth Balance. She usually adds cornflakes on top, but this year, she mixed things up with some french fried onions.


You gotta have Buttered Corn (made with Earth Balance) and Green Beans too. 


Homemade Cranberry Sauce, for eating alongside the Tofurky, is a must. Mama used to always buy the canned stuff, but for the past several years, she's been making it from scratch. This year, she added a little cinnamon.


And Dinner Rolls. Gotta have dinner rolls!

Our salad varies from year to year. This year, mama made this amazing Marinated Coleslaw! It's crazy flavorful and sort of tangy, sweet, and sour all at the same time.


Here's my plate (minus the salad, which I put on a separate plate)! I had a bit too much food stuffed on here, and I'm still full at 8 p.m. (we ate at 1 p.m.). But isn't overindulging, like, the whole point of Thanksgiving?


Despite being super full, I somehow found room for dessert. Mama made this Chocolate Coconut Pecan Pie. I had a tiny slice, but I brought some home, and I can't wait to try it with a dollop of CocoWhip on top for breakfast!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, that's so sweet of your mom to make all the sides vegan! This looks like a wonderful feast, especially the dessert! Happy Thanksgiving!

Veganopoulous said...

So much great food! We don't do Thanksgiving in Australia so I'm just feasting my greedy vegan eyes on all the blogs from overseas this month.

Hillary said...

I love your shirt! Your plate looks amazing. Tofurky gets a bad rap, but I've always loved it! I have never heard of chocolate pecan pie, but I want some so bad!

Jennifer said...

Oh man it all looks so good! I forgot to take photos of the food I made this year.

Brenda said...

I love it that your mom makes all the sides vegan. What a sweetheart. Every year I take salad to my inlaws because there is always that comment of "oh, I just put a little bacon grease in the green beans, that's basically vegan right?" no thank you! lol

Sarah said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! That is such a nice picture of you and Paul and I love your shirt! All of the sides look delicious and it's so nice that your mom makes the effort to make sure everyone has tons of yummy food they can eat :) The hash brown casserole looks soooooooo good!

Beverlee said...

Will Mama Crunk adopt me? Seriously.

Janyce Denise Glasper said...

This sounds like a perfectly scrumptious Thanksliving! Glad you had a beautiful holiday! <3