Monday, January 26, 2015

Munk Packs!

Y'all know I have a squirrel companion, right? In case you haven't followed the story of Herman, he was an orphaned newborn baby squirrel back in late July, when he presumably fell from his nest and into my backyard. We bottle-fed him and raised him in the house for a couple months, and then, in October, he was ready for release.

We set Herman free out of the bathroom window. But he came back. For a few nights, he opted to sleep inside, but one day, he finally claimed a spot in my backyard tree. Yet he still comes by for nuts every morning while I'm getting ready for work. We just crack the window at his usual time, and he comes in while I'm putting on my makeup. Like this.


Anyway, all that is to say that I have a newfound love for squirrels. And the next best thing to squirrels are chipmonks. Kind of the same thing, right? Anyway, I was super in love with the packaging (and name!) for these Munk Packs that I was sent to review awhile back.


These are oatmeal fruit squeeze packs, which was totally a new concept to me. I've seen squeeze packs of applesauce and stuff in the baby food aisle, which I only pass through on my way to the dog food aisle. But these are snacks for adults and kids! And they're made with non-GMO, gluten-free, whole grain oats and real fruit.

Each one ranges from 80 to 100 calories, making them perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up. I first tried the Apple Quinoa Cinnamon one before a 5:30 p.m. board meeting since I knew dinner would be a couple hours away. Notice Maynard's photo bomb. He's always doing that!


The first ingredients in this are apples, water, and oats. And there's flax, quinoa, and cinnamon. There's a slight oatmeal texture, but it's mushier than eating a bowl of oats. I enjoyed the way the oats felt in my mouth. Sorta chewy, sorta not chewy. Hard to explain. But delicious. And it tided me over until dinner.

I tried the Raspberry Coconut squeeze on the way to another meeting a few weeks later. This one was tangier because of the raspberries, and it had little chewy bits of coconut. Nice. Love how these packs are so easy to eat in the car!


Tonight, I had the Blueberry Acai Flax squeeze before teaching an Engine 2 class at Whole Foods. Dinner wasn't going to happen for a few hours, and this hit the spot.


Each one has the same chewy oat texture, but I think apple cinnamon was my fave. I just love apples and cinnamon together! I'd definitely buy these to keep around as grab-and-go snacks!

5 comments:

Hillary said...

Thanks for the Herman update! I was actually wondering about him the other day! I'm so glad you guys are still friends.

Cadry's Kitchen said...

Aw, I love the Herman update! What a sweet story! I'm glad that he still visits you every morning to get some nuts while you put on your makeup.

Anonymous said...

Herman looks so healthy. Love Maynard's sneaky photo bomb.

East Village Vegan said...

Looks good!!

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

I can't decide who is cuter- Maynard or Herman! ;)