Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Choosing Raw, Day 6!

For 21 days in January, I'm making meals from Gena Hamshaw's Choosing Raw cookbook! Her high-raw meal plan is helping me reset my system after the not-so-healthy (but delicious) holidays. I'm following the meal plan in the book as much as I can, but sometimes, I go a little rogue.

Like today, for example. The meal plan has breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dessert. But I knew my work schedule was going to be busy around the time I'd typically have my mid-morning snack, so instead, I had my mid-morning snack as a pre-breakfast to fuel me for a 30-minute cross-training session (squats, abs, free weights). This Blueberry, Kale & Mint Smoothie was loaded with avocado, so it had plenty of calories to fuel my workout.


About an hour after my workout, I sat down for real breakfast — leftover Chickpea Tofu Tahini Scramble and Steamed Kale with Ginger-Sesame Dressing. This was the last of my scramble leftovers, which makes me sad. It was really yummy!


Lunch was leftover Raw Portabella "Steak" and Raw Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes" and a Side Salad with romaine, bean sprouts, and radishes. Oops. I broke my mushroom!


For my afternoon snack, I had more Roasted Chickpeas, but I forgot to take a picture. But you saw a pic of them yesterday anyway.

Dinner was something new! Acorn Squash, Brown Rice & Spinach Salad with Lemon-Turmeric Vinaigrette and Toasted Hazelnuts!


Man, I have never had a salad like this before! Blew my mind. The greens, hazelnuts, and rice are tossed with this homemade, dreamy-creamy dressing that has lots of avocado, turmeric, and lemon. Plus, it has a touch of sweetness from bee-free honee (recipe called for agave or maple, but I'm partial to bee-free honee!).

The roasted acorn squash was great! And omg, TOASTED HAZELNUTS! I think that's my new favorite snack. I'd never toasted my own, but they're so flavorful. One note: The salad actually calls for frisee, but I couldn't find it anywhere. So I went with baby spinach because that's what I had.

Dessert (I love that this challenge lets me eat dessert EVERY DAY!) was Chocomole! Yep, raw chocolate avocado pudding. So creamy and rich!


Well, I'm off to bed. Gotta get up and attempt to run in 18 degree weather at, like, 6 a.m. Ugh.

2 comments:

Sheridan said...

Okay, this looks like a really good cleanse/detox diet. I love the look of everything you've posted about thus far! I need to get that cookbook!

Gena said...

That salad is one of my favorites. Thank you for reminding me to make it soon!