Monday, February 17, 2014

Vegg Egg-Free Baking Mix!

I've long been a huge fan of The Vegg, the vegan egg-free powder that you can mix with water to simulate the taste and texture of eggs. I use it to make quick tofu "fried eggs," to add a certain egginess to tofu scrambles, and for dipping French toast. But now the makers of the Vegg have a new product, and it's just as awesome as the original Vegg.


It's The Vegg Baking Mix! While the original Vegg is perfect for seasoning a frittata or adding that special touch to carbonara pasta, the new baking mix is designed just for baking. Think Ener-G Egg Replacer or Bob's Red Mill Vegetarian Egg Replacer. But The Vegg Baking Mix actually tastes like eggs, thanks to a smidge of black salt.

I'll admit that I was a little worried when I saw black salt in the ingredient list. I didn't want my cake to taste super-eggy. But the flavor is so subtle, just like the flavor of real eggs in baking. It's pretty genius. I made two recipes with this, both of which I got off the back of the Vegg Baking Mix container.

This morning, I had a slice of Quick Spinach Quiche made with Vegg Baking Mix.


Isn't that pretty? I've made vegan quiches with tofu before, but they're always a little too soft. This one is tofu-free. It's just Vegg Baking Mix blended with almond milk and mixed with flour (I used whole wheat pastry), spinach, onions, salt, and pepper. The flour and egg mix really firm up in the oven.

But quiches are supposed to taste eggy, so I knew I'd also have to test this stuff in a sweet recipe to see how the egg flavor worked there. I already showed y'all this Vanilla Cupcake that I made for my co-workers for Valentine's Day, but I didn't talk much about it in last week's post.


I used the Vanilla Cake recipe from the Vegg Baking Mix bottle, but I made the recipe into cupcakes instead (mainly because I was too lazy to properly decorate a layer cake). The batter was thicker than the cupcake batter I'm used to, and it seemed to hold together better. It was as if real eggs were in this batter! And the finished product was a very moist but firm cupcake that seemed more like the old egg-containing cakes that I used to eat in my pre-vegan days. You couldn't taste the black salt, but there was just a hint of egginess that made the cupcake taste almost indistinguishable from a non-vegan cake. If you've ever thought Ener-G egg replacer has too much of a chemical-ish off-taste (I've noticed it before), then Vegg Baking Mix is the answer.

I can't wait to try this with other recipes! One teaspoon of mix combined with 1/4 cup water makes one egg, so this is perfect for veganizing old recipes. Plus, there are 48 "eggs" per container! This stuff will last forever!

By the way, I hope to do a Valentine's Day wrap-up post tomorrow. I'm still waiting on my Candy Grams from Vegan Cuts! They were supposed to have shipped last Monday, but they never made it to my mailbox. I hope they didn't get lost in the mail!

Also, it's your last chance to enter the Beyond Meat swag giveaway. I'll pick a winner tomorrow.

1 comment:

Scissors and Spice said...

How eggs-citing! ;) I can't wait to try it!