Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Valentine's Day Recap

Guess what arrived in the mail today?!


My Vegan Cuts Candy Grams!! Paul ordered me one for Valentine's Day by the deadline, and it was supposed to arrive before last Friday. But somehow that didn't happen. Also, I ordered one for myself because who doesn't order themselves Valentine's? Am I right?

There were five or six possible candy treats that Vegan Cuts would randomly send with each order, and I was hoping I'd end up with two different treats to try. But wouldn't it just be my luck that I ended up with two of the same thing? Oh well. It sounds delicious. This Bixby Bar is made with dark chocolate, almonds, strawberries, and ceylon cinnamon.


I can't wait to rip into one tomorrow. I'm making myself wait because we had Vegan Drinks tonight, and I consumed a lot of calories in the form of cocktails and potato chips.

On Valentine's Day, I gave my pups treats too! They each got a rainbow heart treat from Hollywood Feed, a local pet shop. And the cats got a new pack of catnip-flavored Feline Greenies.


Paul and I went to Skewer for Valentine's dinner. It's a new ramen/skewer/sushi restaurant that I had high hopes for (more on that in a few). Here's a blurry picture of us!


They don't have a liquor license yet, so we brought our own wine. I ordered this Boy Meets Girl Pinot Grigio online, and it seemed perfect for the occasion. I'm not sure of its vegan-ness though. I'm not the best vegan when it comes to selecting wine. If I don't know, I don't usually ask.


We got edamame to start because Paul LOVES edamame.


Before arriving at Skewer, I checked the menu online. And it seemed as though their Dofu Ramen was vegan. It had tofu, veggies, and a clear broth. But when I asked our server, I was informed that it was made with chicken broth! Sadness ... I ended up going with the veggie combo platter of avocado sushi, mushroom and asparagus nigiri, and tofu and veggie skewers.


The tofu skewers — miso tofu and peanut tofu — were really good! But they were so very tiny. I wanted more for the money. Each of these sets of two are $3, so that's $6 worth of skewers but not much tofu.


The veggie skewers were just okay. I thought the veggies needed a tad more flavor. And you only get three or four veggie cuts per skewer. The avocado roll was really yummy though. And the nigiri was probably my fave. These were made with mushrooms!


I was told by a manager that they have been getting requests for a veggie ramen option, so hopefully they'll add one. If they do, I'll be sure to go back.

4 comments:

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Oh that's disappointing about the ramen but the tofu peanutty skewer things look great.

I love the nooch valentines card!

Stacielynn said...

I love the rainbow dog cookies, that is the cutest! Looks like you had a good VDAY. Total bummer about the ramen though!

Jill said...

Sorry to hear the CandyGrams arrived a little late. All the crazy snow on the east coast delayed USPS a bit. Enjoy the Bixby Bars!

Bianca said...

Thanks Jill! OMG, those Bixby Bars are soooooo goooood! I just ate one at my desk.