Monday, November 26, 2012

Crunk Time with Cat!

Last year, my partner Paul and I traveled to Portland for the first Vida Vegan Con blogger's convention. There was a meet-and-greet on the first night at a restaurant miles from the host hotel. Unfamiliar with any public transit system, Paul and I attempted to navigate to the opening night event by bus. We had no idea where we were going, and neither of us had ever ridden a bus. I'd printed directions and downloaded a Portland transit app. We crossed our fingers as we stepped onto a bus that we assumed would take us to the right place.

Shortly after we hopped on, the bus made a stop and on came Cat of The Verdant Life. Suddenly, I knew all would be okay. Cat was headed to the same place, and I trusted her bus navigation skills. Throughout the conference, we stuck close to Cat's side.

Well, I haven't seen Cat since last August in Portland. But just before Thanksgiving, she messaged me to tell me she'd be passing through Memphis today on her way back to Ohio from New Orleans. She and her boyfriend Mark met up with Paul and I for dinner at the vegan-friendly Trolley Stop Market.

Cat ordered one of the restaurant's massive vegan calzones (she opted for no vegan cheese in favor of broccoli, artichokes, and something else I can't remember). This thing was bigger than her head!


Monday night is Vegan Night at the Trolley Stop, and they always offer a vegan dinner special in addition to the other vegan options on the menu. Tonight was the Vegan Baja Bowl (black beans, rice, roasted corn, tomatoes, tomatillos, cilantro, and avocado). That's what I ordered. Ironically, the Baja Bowl was served on a plate:


Our boyfriends ordered meat sandwiches. Ugh. I'll spare you the details.

After dinner, we hit up Boscos Squared for some local brews. Cat and I ordered the Boscos Export Stout:


Here's Cat and Mark:


And here's an artsy shot of Paul and I (and Paul's Flaming Stone beer):


Good times!

8 comments:

zafar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cat ~ The Verdant Life said...

I love it! Thanks for giving us such a great taste of Memphis! I highly suggest the calzone. Mine was sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, broccoli, and black olives. I don't think I would have changed a thing! If you and Paul ever come through Ohio, we'd love to show you around!

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

Meat sandwiches! Ugh! :) Your baja "bowl" looks yummy tho- look at all that avocado!!

Allysia said...

I have no idea how you managed to avoid buses for your entire life up until Portland. Mad skillz, obviously. At least they had a straight-forward transit system! Didn't you guys end up renting a car or something? Ha ha. :)

And my god is that calzone insanely giant. I'm so glad my boyfriend isn't all about the meat sandwiches, or meat at all. In retrospect, I haven't had a meat-eating boyfriend since I was 18, I've converted them all, heh heh! (without trying, I should add.) Suddenly feelin' pretty awesome. :)

Lesley Eats said...

Does Trolley Stop offer good veg*n stuff on their regular menu? I stopped in for lunch one day and left in frustration. I can't remember if there was nothing veg on the menu or if it was just one very uninspired thing, but I was very disappointed. I'll go back if you have a recommendation. Otherwise, will just go to Fuel. :)

Chef Amber Shea said...

Awesome! Wish Matt and I could've joined you four. ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cat ~ The Verdant Life said...

@Lesley - Trolley Stop had quite a few vegan dishes on the menu, and they seemed pretty amenable to modifying other dishes to make them vegan upon request.

@Chef Amber Shea - That would have been so much fun! Miss you!