Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vegan Nacho Tortilla Chips!!!!

The vegan answer to Nacho Cheese Doritos is finally here! And it hit me totally out of left field. You see, I've been whining about how someone should veganize nacho cheese and/or ranch Doritos for years. Don't get me wrong, I love me some vegan Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos, but my inner child longs for that nacho taste.

Well, I knew the Beanfield's company was mailing me some samples of their bean & rice chips to review. They emailed me about trying their new flavor, and I said, "well, hell yes!" This girl never turns down free chips. But apparently, I didn't read the email closely because I somehow missed the word "nacho."

When my box arrived, I saw Beanfield's Bean & Rice Chips in Pico de Gallo, Sea Salt, and Nacho:


I thought, "Damn, they must not know I'm vegan. They sent me chips with cheese in 'em." And just as I was about to pawn them off on a cheese-eater in my office, I spotted the word "vegan" on the top of the bag. I might have squealed aloud in my cubicle. And then I might have run over to a vegetarian co-worker's desk and screamed "Vegan Doritos!!!!!!!!!!" as I burst the bag open and excitedly dumped them over my head. Okay, it didn't really do down like that, but wouldn't it be awesome if I made it rain Doritos?

Since they sent me several bags of the Nacho (thank you, Beanfield's!!!!!), I gave that co-worker — Hannah — her own bag and then we tore into them. The verdict? These taste so much like Doritos! But they're even more complex. Since the chips are made with beans and rice, they have a lovely flavor that Doritos just can't stand up to with its MSG and artificial flavors. So dare I say, they're actually better.


Plus, they're practically health food! Each one-ounce serving has four grams of fiber. That's the same amount of fiber in a 1/2 cup serving of raisin bran. And each serving also has four grams of protein. They're also non-GMO verified, corn-free, and gluten-free. They were named "Best of Show" by VegNews at the 2012 Natural Products Expo West, so you know they gotta be good.

In case you're wondering about the other flavors, I tried those too. And they're also delicious. The Pico de Gallo flavor actually tastes like the chip was dipped in pico. So no need for dip! And the Sea Salt flavor is scrumptious on it's own, but it would also be lovely with a big ole bowl of guacamole. But of course, the Nacho has my heart.

Thank you, Beanfield's. Now, if y'all decide to create a ranch tortilla chip, please call me.

15 comments:

Sarah Lienard said...

Woah, those are some seriously healthy tortilla chips!

xvavaveganx said...

Hahaha yes!!! I got the same package! I was equally excited about it! I've only tried the pico de gallo ones, they are awesome, especially if you like bbq chips!

Lauren Phelps said...

Wow! I'd love to try these! Their website says they don't sell them in Memphis :( Do you know where to buy them? I'd hate to buy a case without trying them first. Thanks!

Jesse @ Happy Go LuckY Vegan said...

These chips are sooooo good!!! I just got my box the other day and I was practically jumping up and down. You seem to love them as much as I do!

Katie said...

Blog post jinx!! Haha, it seems we all got our deliveries in the same week! Haha, and are posting within hours of each other...

Nacho love!!

Tanya said...

Wow!! Those look amazing.....will have to look for them :)

Scissors and Spice said...

Ok, I really need those. And, I am totally hoping someone comes up with vegan ranch chips for you!

Erin said...

Now I'm picturing you dumping tortilla chips over your head :) I've had the Beanfields pico chips before and liked them, but now I must seek out the nacho flavor!

Belle said...

oh man, I so need to try those.

Hayden said...

Mmm...vegan nachos. If any of your followers live in the bay area and want to try some vegan eats head to San Fran over Cinco de Mayo weekend to try the pop up vegan restaurant Wildflower that will be celebrating the weekend in vegan style with chipotle mac and yeese, quinoa nachos and more! Check it out and spread the word! http://ieatgrass.com/2012/04/wildflower-comes-to-san-francisco-for-cinco-de-mayo/

Bird and Boy Photography said...

Yum! I would love some of them right now :D

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

I got that same shipment... but you always beat me to the reviews :)

tender b. said...

Making it rain vegan doritos, nice. I wondered about the complexity of flavor in a vegan version. Great idea by the company.

Bella said...

i love the nacho cheese! mmm!

Anonymous said...

YESS!! That is so awesome!1 Thanks so much for the review! I can't believe I just now stumbled upon your blog! Can't wait to raed more! :)