Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy V-Day!

So there's only two hours of Valentine's Day left, but hope you had a happy one. Since my co-workers at the Memphis Flyer and Memphis Magazine were my first Valentines of the day, I brought them some Strawberry Cupcakes from the 2012 Happy Herbivore calendar:

These whole wheat cupcakes are made without oil, like all of Lindsay Nixon's low-fat recipes. They've been staring out at me on my February calendar all month, and V-Day seemed like the perfect excuse to make them.

The cupcakes are low-fat because they're made with applesauce instead of oil. And they're topped with royal icing instead of buttercream. Strangely, there's no strawberries in the cake or icing, yet they're called strawberry cupcakes because they're topped with a strawberry. But nonetheless, they were delicious. And they were only 160 calories!

One thing to note if you have this calendar and want to make these cupcakes: There's a typo in the recipe on the calendar. It should include 1/4 cup of applesauce, according to Lindsay's original recipe in Happy Herbivore. Fortunately, I just happened to check out the recipe before making these.

5 comments:

xvavaveganx said...

What a cute cupcake and a perfect Valentine's Day treat! I bet your coworkers were so happy to eat them :) I also really love the liners you used!

amy said...

I was planning to make my colleagues some blueberry muffins, but I caught some powerful lazy.

foodfeud said...

Very pretty. I love sharing goodies with the co-workers. Then they can't fire me.

Caitlin said...

they are so pretty and dainty! i always loved pink frosting on cupcakes ;)

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

I've made these using strawberry puree instead of applesauce...deeeelicious.