Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pumpkin Cookie Teff Porridge

Not to bore y'all with more breakfast bowls, but I'm really loving teff right now. A few weeks ago, I posted my recipe for Holiday Teff Porridge, a steamy oat-like bowl of cooked teff, vegan nog, cinnamon, and dried cranberries.

But this morning, I came up with another yummy way to use this ancient grain as a hot breakfast cereal — Pumpkin Cookie Teff Porridge!

That's a scoop of sweetened pumpkin and a scoop of Biscoff cookie spread on top of my bowl. Biscoff is the secret to making anything taste like cookies. It's a spread made from ground up Biscoff (also called Speculoos) cookies, and it's probably the best tasting stuff on earth. We go through a jar every few weeks in my house, mostly because my boyfriend eats it straight from the jar with a spoon.

Here's the recipe. Note: I used pumpkin pie filling, which is already sweetened, because I had some that I accidentally bought, thinking it was plain pumpkin. But you can use unsweetened pumpkin puree and maple syrup instead, if you'd rather.

Pumpkin Cookie Teff Porridge
------------------------------------
1 cup water

1/4 cup teff grains
2 Tbsp. Silk pumpkin spice milk (or vanilla soymilk)
1/3 cup pumpkin pie filling (the kind that's already sweetened)
1 Tbsp. Biscoff cookie spread


Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Whisk in dry teff to ensure no lumps form. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until porridge is thick and teff is soft.


Stir in the milk and pumpkin, and remove from heat. Top with a dollop of Biscoff spread.

17 comments:

Sheridan said...

I really need to try teff. This sounds so awesome! I'm doing a cleanse of sorts right now, so I'm craving, like, everything. And I'm only on day two, so ya know...hahah....I would LOVE some of your pumpkin cookie breakfast bowl right about now.

vegetarian said...

looks yummy and delicious! thanks for the great recipe!

Mihl said...

I never had teff! Sounds like a great breakfast item.

Jamie S. said...

This seems absolutely delicious. I´m amazed by your recipes! Sad I don´t have any teff at home.

Shannon said...

I love cookie spread! I also have been meaning to try teff for a while. I need to scour some small health food stores.

Babette said...

Hi Bianca,

The teff you use is teff grains or teff flour?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I ordered some Biscoff online... as soon as it arrives, I'm making this!

Anonymous said...

I recently scored some Biscoff spread in Nashville after years of searching. I'm torn between love and guilt about it. It's cookies smashed up and mixed with shortening. Delicious!!!!!
I put some in my oatmeal and on waffles so far, I'll have to venture into teff territory and try it out.

Chef Amber Shea said...

I just love this teff porridge idea, even more so with the dollop of cookie spread. I heard Trader Joe's now has a store brand version of that; I wonder if it's as good?

dreaminitvegan said...

Yum! This looks really good. My son loves hot cereal for breakfast. I recently recently ordered some flour.

Sandrine said...

Where did you get these cool bowls??

Bianca said...

Babette, I used the teff grains. Bob's Red Mill sells them here.

Sandrine, the bowls are from Vegan Dish, which you can find on Etsy. She makes all sorts of vegan-stamped pottery.

Caz said...

i'm addicted to my morning oatmeal. maybe i'll try teff for a change?

James said...

Man, that Biscoff spread looks ridonkulous! I live in Japan, where it can be impossible to find certain things, and Biscoff spread seems to be one of them. They do have a caramelized cookie spread by Lotus that I can order online here, which appears to originate in Belgium, where Lotus started. Is it the same thing? Is Biscoff the US manifestation of the same cookie? I'm confused... and hungry.

James said...

OK, I did a little more searching, and I get it now. They're all speculoos (a name I'm actually learning for the first time) and just go by different product names, depending on the country. Well, that's good news for me then! Can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

I have never had the biscoff spread but sounds amazing will have to get some on vegan essentials. it would be perfect for the almond butter and blackberry sandwich from kale with love blog. Here is the link you have to check this out I made the sandwich this morning and it is amazing.

http://kalewithlove.blogspot.com/2011/12/almond-butter-and-blackberry-sandwich.html

Lesley Eats said...

I have to say that would be really good with some cocoa in it. :)