Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Goodbye, Sarah Kramer Calendar

It's with great sadness that I share tonight's meal – the December recipe in Sarah Kramer's 2011 Go Vegan wall calendar. I've made every recipe in this year's calendar and last year's calendar, but it looks as though there is no 2012 Go Vegan wall calendar. It'll be kinda lonely in my kitchen without Sarah's tattoos and adorable kitschery staring out at me from the wall beside my fridge. After two years of calendars, she feels like an old friend.

Thankfully, the December recipe was one of my favorites so far! Sloppy Janes!

These tofu-based sloppy joes were unlike any I've ever had before. And you wanna know why? They have pickles in 'em! Chopped pickles are added to a cooked base of tofu, basmati rice, green peppers, onion, tomato sauce, mustard, and vegan Worcestershire. I've never had pickles in my sloppy joe, but now I won't have them any other way.

I served my messy sandwich with Baked Salt & Pepper Kettle Chips with Green Onion Dip:

The dip is such a naughty cheater snack! It's Tofutti Sour Cream mixed with a packet of Kroger brand Green Onion Dip Mix. The mix is accidentally vegan, but it's still loaded with sinfully delicious nastiness, like partially hydrogenated oils and MSG. It's soooo bad, but it tastes soooo good. I'm starting the Crazy Sexy Diet cleanse on Sunday, so I'm just going all out with junk food for now.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

That dip mix is one of the things I miss most about being in area where there are Krogers.

Sarah said...

I will also be joining you on the CSD. I am struggling with the idea of dropping my coffee with rice milk three times a day and two decaf in the evening - but I am sure I will get over it! Now if only they would hurry up delivering my wheatgrass juicer!!!

Anonymous said...

I love those little packets... French onion, spinach... Can't call them healthy but they're vegan, and that's good enough for me :)

Happy New Years!

Sheridan said...

This looks fantastic! I like the idea of pickles in a sloppy joe. And I was wondering why you didn't get another Sarah Kramer calendar this year. That's sad that she didn't continue it.

Babette said...

I'm also disappointed that Sarah didn't make a 2012 calendar... I really liked the design of the calendars. It was original.

Those sloppy janes are really great. I couldn't believe how melt-in-your-mouth they were.

Unknown said...

I've tried the tofu rice mix sloppy joes but I have to say I prefer making them with split peas! LOL..I do like the mix with tofu and I can't wait to add the pickles...or maybe olives...hey..the sky's the limit when your vegan right??!

Unknown said...

I had to stop back and say that after reading this post I was madly craving sloppy janes! I fooled around with my fav recipe for them and yes, tried them with the pickles. I find that I love the new version 100% more than before, but I think I prefer the pickles on the side...........but a definite must!

VeganLu said...

I was just searching again to see if the calendar was coming out and found your site! Very sad to see the calendar go too! But happy to find your blog:)