Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stirfryday (on Wednesday)

Last Friday, my friend Greg and I took part in an old Memphis vegan tradition — Stirfryday! This monthly stir-fry party used to take place once a month at the Sanssouci Collective House on Tucker Street. Though we didn't go every time back then, Greg and I used to stop through for $5 tofu stir-fry every once in awhile.

But the Sanssouci house (a cooperative house of hippie vegans) is no more, and the monthly stir-fry party has moved to the DeCleyre Cooperative, another collective of grassroots activist hippie kids. The DeCleyre house (located in the University District) has been around since 1998 and was founded as a vegetarian/anarchist household. They have an awesome collection of zines and progressive books, and the place was named after Voltarine DeCleyre, one of the most badass anarchist ladies of all time (except for Emma Goldman, of course!).

Anyway, DeCleyre hosted a Stirfryday event/rock show this past weekend. Here's the menu:

You get one of four choices of tofu and a choice of curry paste. That's sauteed with fresh veggies and served over sticky white rice. Matt Kime, a former Sanssouci resident, did the cookin' on Friday night:

Look how sweaty?! You see, DeCleyre doesn't have A/C, and it was about 100 degrees on Friday night. Though I don't typically approve of shirtless dudes cookin' my food, I can understand when it's a million degrees out.

Here's my finished plate:

I chose sesame tofu and massaman curry paste, and I washed it all down with an ice-cold pint of Magic Hat #9. We couldn't stay for the rock show though. It was just too darn hot!

9 comments:

Chocolate-Covered Katie said...

Oh I adore Massaman curry! Haven't had it in ages... I used to get it at a local Thai place, until I discovered it had fish paste, and they can't make it without the paste. Boo :(

Loving the stirfryday tradition!

Sarah @ Gluten-free tries Vegan said...

I love stir-fries! Pretty much every day is stir-fry dat in our house! Chinese 5-spice or thai 7-spice blends work so well in them with fresh ginger and tamari :)

Dianne said...

Yum! I need to find a grassroots hippie co-op to give me food!

The Health Sensei said...

ur plate looks divine. wow!

Kiersten said...

That stirfry looks delicious! I love stir-fries. We have "stirfriday" practically every week. Your comment about shirtless dudes cooking your food amused me, lol.

Timmy Mac said...

Oh, man! That looks delicious, and the hippie ambience makes me feel old and lame! I gotta find some hipster friends who'll cook me stir fry stat.

Vegan In The VI said...

I hope you didn't find any stray chest hairs in your stir-fry.

Jessica said...

This is like pick-your-own at the cafeteria, but way better!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Aww, how fun is that?!