Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Eggplant > Meat

Don't you love the ">" and "<" symbols? You can say so many words without having to write everything out, and it feels a little like my elementary school math education wasn't a complete waste of time (okay, so maybe that's taking things a little far ... math sucks!). Anyway, we all know that eggplant totally trumps meat. Duh. But it triple-trumps meat in my Creole "Sausage" and Eggplant Jambalaya:

Most traditional jambalaya recipes are chock full of shrimp, sausage, and chicken. But I use chopped sauteed eggplant and sliced homemade spicy gluten-based sausages instead. The Creole Sausage is a separate recipe in my cookbook, and they're also excellent on their own for breakfast.

By the way, if you don't see any eggplant in this picture, it's because I peel my eggplant. I can't stand eggplant skin. It's tough and gross. It must come off!

On the side are my smoky Mess O' Greens, also in the cookbook. I typically slow-cook my collards with turnips, but I didn't have any on hand. Either way, the dish makes for a healthy nutrient-packed side. And yes, I super slow-cook my greens ... none of that newfangled quick-cookin' stuff.

18 comments:

chocolate-covered katie said...

Ha! I was actually looking in your archives yesterday (stalkerish??) to see if you'd reviewed a certain BPC book I'm going to review soon.

While searching, I saw a post with those "Mess o' Greens" and was thinking, "Mmmm, I'd like to know how to make that. Glad to hear I'll soon know the secret!! :)

Marja @ StuckInYourBeard said...

I am looking forward to the cookbook! I'm from Virginia, so I don't know if you consider me to be a Southerner... But that's too bad, damn it, 'cause The South comes from the heart. Point is, Southern vegans > most everything.

sara said...

ha, math does suck. that jambalaya looks good! i wish my husband liked eggplant so i could cook with it all the time. i am in no way a southerner but your recipes still sound awesome :)

jess_fildespages said...

I can't wait to eat this.

Diana @ VEGeneration said...

Ooooh the jambalaya looks so good and hearty :o)

Dana said...

What I recall from elementary math was the use of alligators to help students remember what the > and < symbols meant. Something along the lines of the alligator wants to eat the number that is bigger, so we want to eat the eggplant because it is "bigger" than meat. :)

Eric said...

Didn't know you were suppose to cook collard greens with turnips. who woulda thunk :D

Susan G said...

Jam - bah- lay- a! (Seinfeld reference) YUM. DId you know there is a Jimmy Buffet song called Math Suks?

Leslie Richman said...

That looks delicious!!

radioactivegan said...

Any food that you can describe as a Mess O' somethin' is already delicious!

radioactivegan said...

Also -- Math is awesome. For example: 1 mess o' greens + 1 heap of jambalaya = lots of delicious!

dreaminitvegan said...

Ohhh I like that you put eggplant in your jambalaya!

Anonymous said...

DAMN that looks tastay!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Would you please make this for me? Pretty please?

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

I totally agree with you!

Greens > 1 hour cooking time.

Awww yeah.

Jessica said...

Yes on cooking greens! I can do a quick cook on kale but not on turnip, mustard, or collard greens. The first time I saw a raw collard wrap I liked to died. Still haven't tried it raw.

Samuel said...

Looks really good. Will definitely give it a try soon.

Anonymous said...

Waiting for the cookbook and the recipes to the amazing-looking dishes on your site is officially TORTURE!!! I will be the nerd waiting in line the night before it hits the shelves at my local bookstore. Gahhh! I want to make all of these! :-)

~JennyL