Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Trolley Stop Market

I apologize for posting two restaurant reviews back to back, but I've been eating out a lot lately. I promise to get back to cooking for the rest of the week. But I couldn't miss an opportunity to try the food on Vegan Night at Trolley Stop Market.

The Trolley Stop Market is a new-ish cafe run by one of my favorite farmin' couples — Jill and Keith Forrester. They've been selling their fresh produce (and delicious heirloom tomatoes) at the Memphis Farmers Market for years under the name Whitton Farms. I've even had the pleasure of touring their farm in a nearby Arkansas town.

Earlier this year, the couple opened a Medical District restaurant featuring fresh food made with local produce from their farm. The market also sells local products like Memphis-roasted Ugly Mug Coffee and pecans treats from Delta Pecan Orchard. They even sell some of their fresh produce right out of the store.

On most days, they only offer a couple of vegetarian/vegan options. But Monday night is Vegan Night and the entree special is totally cruelty-free. I kept meaning to go and finally found time tonight. The special was Trolley Stop Biryani with Roasted White and Sweet Potatoes:

Yum! The biryani featured traditional eggplant, summer squash, spinach, onion, and tomato over brown rice, and the whole dish was seasoned with homemade garam masala. On the side were some super-tasty taters, also seasoned with a blend of Indian and Middle Eastern flavors.

Though I wish the Trolley Stop would offer more veg options all of the time, the Vegan Night idea is pretty impressive for Memphis. Though most places in Memphis offer a few vegan items, many are "accidentally vegan" and they don't feel quite as special. I love that the chefs at the Trolley Stop go out of their way to cater to vegans at least one night a week. It makes me feel pretty special.

If you're reading this and you live in Memphis, please support Monday Vegan Nights so we can keep it around. Even if you're not vegan, this food will impress. Promise.

The Trolley Stop Market is located at 704 Madison Ave. Call 901-526-1361. Check out their Facebook page for daily specials. Vegan Night begins at 5:30 p.m. every Monday and runs through 9 p.m.

6 comments:

Marja @ StuckInYourBeard said...

Minus the meat thing, that restaurant sounds awesome. We (VA/DC) also don't have much food that's both vegan and anywhere close to local, as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's coming from my kitchen :)

How do you like where you live, as a vegan? Have you lived many other places? My partner and I eventually want to live somewhere else in The South, and Tenn. is one of our thoughts for one day.

Jessica said...

That's awesome! I love vegan nights, and you're right - that does feel special, much more than anything accidental. With the farm fresh vegetables, Trolley Stop is perfectly prepared to make a vegan entree.

Eric said...

I agree, vegan nights at restaurants are always a treat and its always nice to have a variety of vegan options at your fingertips!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I live in Memphis and I will definitely go. I love your blog! Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Thanks I am in memphis visiting in-laws and I cant wait to eat here