Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Laissez le bon temps rouler, y'all!

In case you didn't know, that's French for "let the good times roll." Today's Fat Tuesday, the last day of debauchery before Lent begins. I'm not a practicing Catholic anymore, but I'm a sucker for tradition and ritual ... and a good party. I began my Fat Tuesday with a slice of sugar-licious King Cake:

I used Kittee Kake's recipe, since she is the Queen of Vegan King Cakes. I was fresh out of plastic babies, so I took Kittee's suggestion and used a white bean instead. I took the cake to work and my co-worker Mary had the first slice, and lo and behold, she got the bean baby. That means she's supposed to bring the king cake to work next year, but I suspect I'll have to do it anyway.

I used a very basic cinnamon-sugar-Earth Balance filling, so it tasted a little like a big ole cinnamon roll:

After my king cake breakfast, I had a work-related meeting at Republic Coffee, a fun little Midtown coffeehouse, and they were offering a Praline Latte for Fat Tuesday. Of course, I had one ... with soy, no whip.

Dinner was a cookbook tester with a Cajun theme, but I'll share those pictures tomorrow. It was too dark to get a good shot at dinnertime. Now my boyfriend and I are about to wrap up the evening with a couple of Abita beers, the local beer of New Orleans.

Happy Fat Tuesday ... or what's left of it!

23 comments:

Chocolate Covered Katie said...

Ack! I totally didn't realize it was fat Tuesday! I've never had King Cake... I did have pancakes though :)

nora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

it's gorgeous! i've never had king cake either! how about katie and i come over next year and you fix that?

Anonymous said...

You mean you don't have plastic babies around the house? Psh.

crunchyveganwifelife said...

Your Awesome!!!!
This looks delicious!!!!
I ahve only had King cake once, and I loved it, this makes me wanna have a slice right now! Put on the coffee, I am coming over!!!! LOL

Vegan Valerie said...

That cake looks like so much fun! Wow! I love it! That would be a fun recipe to try! :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise you guys call it Fat Tuesday! Over here it's Shrover Tuesday or Pancake day. Your eats looked delish! Are you giving anything up for lent?

Serena said...

I didn't realize it was fat Tuesday until just now - and it's Wednesday. :( Ah, well my leftover chocolate stock from this weekend was mostly devoured yesterday, so that must count for something :P
I've never had a Kind Cake but that looks really delicious :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

I love how you used the Mardi Gras coloured sugar for the cake! I've never heard of a King Cake before. Sounds like a cool tradition.

Memphis Chix said...

Hey Bianca,
Thanks for keeping this blog. I've linked to it from the email about www.Bluesalicious.com and I see you got 30 click-thrus from it.
I think our readers are looking for vegan options for eating out while they're in Memphis, if you have suggestions. Thanks!

Sheridan said...

I've actually never had king cake before! I would have liked to have tried yours! Looks awesome!

Cole said...

That King Cake looks super tasty!

Anonymous said...

JEALOUS of the king cake....looks so good!

Unknown said...

happy belated fat tuesday to you! that cake, I swear...drooltastic.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

fat tuesday - love it!

your king cake looks awesome.

Susan G said...

We went to Mardi Gras at our church last night and the cake looked just like that (same colored sugar)! I would bet that ours wasn't vegan, though!

Shannon-Rabbit Food said...

What a beautiful King Cake! I love how often you bring sweets to work. Your office must love you! Why don't I work with you?!

Vegan In The VI said...

I've never had king cake. I hope one day to try it.

aTxVegn said...

I've never had King Cake either, but I always admire it when I see it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! That looks even better than any of the king cakes I've eaten. I used to love king cake and all it's sugary goodness :)

Jennifer said...

Actually, it's French for "let roll the good weather / the good time (in a more abstract sense)." Sorry, that's my compulsive French minor showing its ugly face. Yummy-looking cake though!

KitteeBee said...

loooks so goood! this was the first mardi gras in 9 years that i missed. so sad.

xo
kittee

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh man, I really want to try King Cake!