Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Holy Mole Chili!

I tend to get stuck in a chili rut ... always opting for the traditional version with chili powder and a tomato base. Nothing against plain ole chili, but when I saw the recipe for Emo Potato's Mole Black Bean & Winter Squash Chili, I was totally blown away:

This thick stew has a base of soaked and blended dried pasilla chilis mixed with cocoa powder, almond butter, tahini, and even brewed coffee! It sounds crazy, but all that stuff mixed together makes for one hell of a mole sauce. Check out the recipe at Emo Potato's blog.

The mole is simmered with a cubed Delicata squash (any winter squash would do) and black beans. Of course I topped mine with a glob of Tofutti sour cream and (not shown here) gads of hot sauce. And I alternated bites with Garden of Eatin' blue corn tortilla chips.

12 comments:

Gina said...

Wow, that does sound awesome Bianca! I'll have to add it to my recipe list, yum :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, mmm, comforting!

Lindsay I-F said...

yum i love chili!

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

Ole Mole! One of my most favorite flavors. Iffin I was still in WI, I would be eating Chili more than once a week, ...I really enjoy all the textures and comfort of it. And, I eat mine with macaroni, shredded cheeze, and earth balanced cornbread - all in the bowl! Many friends would tease me, but I love it that way; a great huge meal.

Jenna said...

I LOVE mole sooo much! This sounds fantastic! There is a bean and squash stew recipe in the Kind Diet that sounds similar-ish and the photo looks very similar to yours- I've been wanting to try that dish, so maybe I'll do a hybrid!

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) said...

This looks fabulous. I literally make a chili concoction every week but try to change up the ingredients.. Ill have to keep this recipe in mind!! :)

dreaminitvegan said...

Great looking chunky chilli. I've never used coffee or tahini in mine, just chocolate. It's nice to change up chilli recipes.

T said...

I just had some mole the other day and forgot how much I loved it. This looks like perfect comfort food!

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome. I usually make traditional chili recipes too. Thanks for the link to this recipe, I think I'll give it a shot.

Cyn said...

Oh man, that looks so delicious. I love mole so much.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Mmm! I love mole!

Mike K said...

What a great spin on chili! The flavors are unusual (like coffee), but I can imagine it comes together brilliantly, especially with those chiles.