Thursday, November 12, 2009

Food Is Better In a Bowl

There's something totally satisfying about a big ole bowl of whole grains, veggies, and a healthy protein. The combinations are endless — beans/broccoli/rice or tempeh/squash/millet ... you get the idea. I think I've found my favorite healthy bowl combo with this Monk Bowl from 30 Minute Vegan:

It's simply quinoa, baked tofu, and steamed broccoli, carrots, and zucchini. All that goodness is layered in a bowl and topped with soy sauce (I used Maggie seasoning), nutritional yeast, and flax oil. Oh, and I added a few spicy squirts of sriracha for good measure.

Then I mixed it all together and enjoyed bite after bite ... until it was all gone and I was wishing for more. The tofu was probably the highlight. It's Furama Savory Baked Tofu, which I buy at my neighborhood Asian market. It has a hint of five-spice powder flavor, and it's the firmest tofu I've ever eaten. I baked it again after marinating in some soy sauce for a few minutes. Delish!

19 comments:

Tara said...

I love Monk Bowls and yours looks absolutely delicious. That tofu seems especially yummy!

nora said...

Yeah, everything DOES taste better in a bowl. the other kind of bowl being a bowl of oatmeal/bran with endless mix ins! that looks so awesome and healthy :)

T said...

So simple and satisfying! Oh how I love nooch on anything and everything!

Anonymous said...

My nutritionish used to get mad at me for eating all my meals in a bowl. Like it was a weird food ritual...umm no, it just tastes better!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks delicious, I love nooch on everything!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oh yes! I love bowl meals :-D

Gina said...

I totally agree, food is just better in a bowl!! Sounds super yummy :)

miss v said...

i have been doing serious bowl eating lately. mine never look pretty when i need to take a picture, so i have to plate it, and then dump it in a bowl. (like my frito pie).

yours looks fab though. happy friday!

Vegan In The VI said...

I never heard of a Monk Bowl before. Thanks for the idea.

The Voracious Vegan said...

LOOKS PERFECT!

I love making dishes like this because they have everything they need to be delicious AND healthy, what a perfect combination.

River - The Crafty Kook said...

Food IS better in a bowl! Of course the tofu is the highlight - it's what I can't have! *stomps and whines* :-D

choco-Katie said...

Well, oatmeal comes in a bowl... and chocolate pudding... and soup... so I'll agree with you!

Trainerpack said...

Yum! Yum!

Leslie Richman said...

That looks really good. I love Soyboy smoked tofu. It's really firm too.

chrystad72 said...

Looks so delish! actually my favorite things to eat is just some sauteed veggies and grains in a big bowl with hot sauce, tahini and a small squirt of braggs. its simple but i look forward to eating it. Definitely a comfort food. Im going to have to try it with some nooch on it! That sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I had a bowl of sauted zuchini, spinach, brocolli, carrots and brussels sprouts last night for dinner. They were sauted in olive oil and garlic with a few generous splashes of soy. YUM - MEE! Of course I think I almost OD'd on fiber but it was worth it.

Abby's Vegan Eats said...

I agree with the bowl idea! That looks like the perfect dinner.

jessy said...

foodz in bowls rock - and they do taste extra deeeeelicious in 'em, too! the monk bowl looks awesome, Bianca - packed full of good-for-you yummies & i love that you added on the sriacha. nice touch! i'm gonna keep an eye out for that 'fu next time i'm at the asian market - it sounds yummy & the texture sounds great, too!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I love a bowl of goodness too!