Monday, August 10, 2009

Ode to PB&J

There are few things I love more than peanut butter and jelly. I love them more than rainbows. I love them more than unicorns. I may even love them more than my cats ... well, maybe not. But I certainly wouldn't eat my cats. I will eat peanut butter and jelly, for any meal of the day.

This morning, I had the most amazing PB&J treat for breakfast — Peanut Butter and Jelly Quick Bread from Have Cake, Will Travel:

Celine, the lovely author behind the Have Cake, Will Travel blog, is my new hero for developing this delicious recipe. It's so simple and so, so tasty. The bread is made with ground oats and spelt flour in place of regular flour, so it's kinda healthy and whole grain-ish. And it contains a half-cup of peanut butter (I used chunky) and a little over a fourth cup of strawberry jam (I used my homemade, organic strawberry jam).

As you can see, I spread mine with even more jam because that's just how I roll. I'd also planned on drenching it with more PB, but the nut butter taste is so strong in the bread, it didn't need extra. Here's the whole loaf, waiting to cool on my bakin' rack:

The recipe is here. Go make it. Don't eat your cats.

Hey Testers: I FINALLY posted more recipes on the tester site ...

19 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh wow that looks even better than the cereal with banana chips & apricots that I'm eating. I'm totally making this when I get back from work!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh man, I want to make that quick bread!

The Voracious Vegan said...

My kitten Twilah is so cute I sometimes gnaw on her head a little bit, but I don't think that I would ever go all the way and eat her up. But she is *really* adorable so who knows....

Cody is a HUGE fan of pb&js, I never even make my own, I just take bites of his. Not sure he really likes that but, oh well!

This bread looks really soft and sweet! Great idea too. I might have to make a batch to give to the pb&j fan in my life...

Tara said...

Ooh, that looks yummy!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I think i print that recipe off once a week with the intention of making it and still haven't got around to it.

Must make!! it looks awesome. I <3 PB&J as well.

Anonymous said...

Yum i've been drooling over that bread on her site for awhile but know if I make it, It'll probably be gone that night eek

Anonymous said...

I would never try to eat my cat! She, on the other hand, tries to eat us all the time.

I agree, Celine is a genious for coming up with this recipe!

Anonymous said...

I use to hate pb and j.When my mom packed this it was a bad lunch day. I only now started to appreciate this when i went vegan. I saw this bread a few weeks ago have to give it a try

Sheridan said...

Oooooh! I lOVE the sound of this and want to make it! Also, I would like your vegan sausage recipe when you get a chance. Man, those were awesome. I ate like, all of them once I started feeling better the other day.

A said...

*mental note* Do not eat my cat. Got it. I will however try the recipe! Looks delicious!
-A

T said...

I love quick breads, that looks super!

When I walked out of my house this morning, there was a women feeding about 20 feral cats that are all part of a new humane society program. How cool is that?

Jen said...

yay! i know what i'll be making this weekend!

Anonymous said...

ahhhh, that looks amazing. i love peanut butter. my roommate and i will have to make that once we move into our new apartment. she loves to bake! thanks for posting the recipe bianca!

Mary said...

Oh wow, right up my alley. I love love love pb&j, 3 meals a day. It's got t be strawberry jam, though. You have good taste.

Anonymous said...

Okay, that looks fantastic. I wonder if it'd work with sunflower butter, as my sister's allergic to nuts... hmm! Experimentation time!

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

Great sounding & looking bread...
Okay, if this is not the correct forum to ask, let me know --- I'll be returning to live & work in Memphis, soon - hopefully, and would love to find Vegan pals, a Vegan group or where/how to connect with Mid-South Vegans. I knit, quilt, sew, read, write, cook, bake, create recipes, and love to gather with like-minded folks...

Lisa said...

i had PB & J for lunch today! But this bread looks even better.

Emily said...

oh my gah that bread looks to DIE for and right up my alley. must try ASAP. and speaking of pb & j, guess what's at whole foods now!! you better hurry because the boxes were running low!

celine said...

dude, when's your book coming out? I covet.
also, thanks for trying this. I am blushing as bright as...strawberry jam.