Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Enchiladas for Breakfast?

It's never too early in the day for Mexican food. But it can be a tad too early for spicy habanero pepper salsa. I learned that the hard way with Monday's breakfast — Black Bean Tofu Scramble Enchiladas:

This is another cookbook recipe, though it's not totally Southern. Maybe kinda Tex-Mex-ish. Anyhow, it's one of my favorite breakfasts. I typically use a mild salsa, but on Monday, I accidentally used the super spicy salsa thinking it was roasted tomato salsa. They were the same color!

On Tuesday morning, I made sure to use the mild version and my sensitive morning tummy was much, much happier. Basically, these corn tortillas are stuffed with a Mexican-flavored black bean tofu scramble and Follow Your Heart Nacho cheeze, then topped with salsa and more cheeze.

I make my scramble and grate my cheeze the night before. In the morning, I simply stuff the tortillas and bake to heat (sometimes the FYH cheeze on top melts, sometimes it doesn't ... but the inside cheeze always gets nice and gooey).

18 comments:

T.Allen said...

Looks tasty, I really wish vegan cheese melted better...

The Voracious Vegan said...

YES! That is exactly the kind of breakfast I am craving RIGHT NOW! There are some mornings when a green juice or a fruit smoothie just do not cut it. I need spice and heat and tortillas jam packed with awesomeness. Can't wait for your cookbook.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Wow, that looks like an amazing breakfast!

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

When I crave Mexican food, Enchiladas are what I usually crave, and these look really great! When I wasn't a Vegan, I always ordered Huevos Rancheros, but now it's a breakfast just like this one, or close to it.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Mexican food in the morning!!! So filling, tasty, and yummy!

Lisa said...

Mexican food is great any time of day!

Mary said...

Breakfast of champs! I love tomatoes in the morning.

Gina said...

Yum! I haven't had enchiladas in ages :)

Emily said...

mmm sounds so simple, yet so delicious!

Leslie Richman said...

Yum! Happy Women's Equality Day!

miss v said...

i've noticed that every time i post a breakfast recipe, it's usually a burrito of mexican variety. they certainly do satisfy!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

That looks so good - I already had lunch but now I'm hungry again. damn.

jessy said...

this is the kinda breakfast i need to be making - i love that you make it easy to throw together in the morning, Bianca - brilliant! what a deeeeeelicious way to start the day! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! i can't wait to test this one out! yay!

Jen said...

i'm with voracious vegan, that sounds really good. i'd do it sans cheese sauce though, sub some avocados or nice guac instead. avocados are nature's cheese.

sorry i've been such a schmuck about not testing recipes. i've wanted to, but you know my circumstances.

Unknown said...

OH WOW!

nora said...

Looks delish! I've had breakfast burritos, but something about enchiladas seems wrong to me--that's weird though b/c it's the same, just with some sauce on top right? hahah

Mike K said...

This makes me wish I bothered with cooking breakfast on weekdays - which sucks, since I love breakfast foods. These enchiladas look awesome - what a great start for the day.

T said...

MMm, that tofu looks perfect. I love savory breakfasts!