Sunday, December 7, 2008

Quickest Dinner Ever

Some nights, I love to spend hours slaving over an extravagant meal. But other times, I'm just hungry and need sustenance as quickly as possible. Tonight fell into the latter category. I spent the weekend visiting my boyfriend in Clarksville (3 hours from Memphis), and I arrived home just in time for dinner. I was famished so I whipped this Spicy Kung Pao Beef-less Stir-fry in minutes:

How did I conjure such a meal so quickly? I cheated, that's how. I used this Simply Asia Stir-fry Meal kit and a box of Trader Joe's Beef-less Strips.

I don't usually splurge on convenience items, like the stir-fry kit, but they were on sale at Big Lots for $2 a piece. I believe Whole Foods sells these for about $4 here. I couldn't resist a sweet deal like that. The kit comes with rice noodles, sauce, and Asian veggies (baby corn, water chesnuts, bamboo shoots, carrots, and mushrooms). I also added some green onion and extra mushrooms that were about to go bad in my fridge.

And I'd picked up the beefless strips at the new Trader Joe's in Nashville last time I was there. I'd read about them on a few blogs, and since I love all things faux meat, I had to scoop some up when I had the chance. These are excellent and I'll definitely be stocking up next time I go to Trader Joe's. They also make chicken-less strips that I'd like to try.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stir-fry looks really tasty! I don't think there's anything wrong with eating packaged foods when it's just once in a while - you almost always make things from scratch! Especially when it's dinner time - now!

Brad and Ahnah said...

Yummy!! That looks so good, I am a stir-fry addict!! Do they have a group for that? =)

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

I like to have some convenience foods around for times like this too. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I used to buy mixed asian veggies frozen from the store and add my own sauce. It's perfect for a speedy dinner. Your meal looks delicious!!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for quick, satisfying dinners!!

Vegan In The VI said...

Great idea! I will try that.

Jenn said...

Yum! Your photos always look so appetizing. You would never know it was a prepackaged production.

jessy said...

i love it! quick 'n tasty = the best! i'm the same way - sometimes i don't mind spending a while cooking, and some days i want to eat RIGHT NOW! your stir fry looks super stellar! and next time i go to TJ's i'm totally going to check out those meatless strips! yummy!

hope you had most awesome weekend with your boyfriend, Bianca! :D

Jen said...

yayyyyy for big lots! i found a whole shitload of toms of maine products for half of what i would pay in any other retail venue.

we aren't vegan saints, and from time to time cheating with prep is a-ok, imo.

xo jen

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Wish there was a trader joe's around here!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that looks super tasty! There's no shame in packaged foods every once in a while - especially when you consider how many people eat nothing else.

Unknown said...

That looks great! I love Trader Joe's. We only get to go when we are visiting my in-laws.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Haha, we all cheat sometimes! My go-to is kale & quinoa.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Cheater! :P
It looks so damn gourmet though! I know what you mean, sometimes you just want to eat and there's no time for slaving. I get so cranky if I'm hungry and I know there won't be any food for a while!