Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Homemade Bagels!

For the past several days, I've been subsisting on Thanksgiving leftovers and restaurant food. But I finished my last Field Roast and dressin' sandwich tonight, and I'm ready to come out of foodie hibernation. What a better way to start than with Homemade Whole Wheat Poppy Seed Bagels:

A LONG time ago, Mihl of Seitan Is My Motor made some tasty-looking whole grain bagels using all kinds of healthy flours and seeds. I remember thinking, without reading the entire recipe, that it sounded really hard. So I just forgot about it. But then a non-foodie co-worker mentioned that she'd recently made some, and I thought, if Mary can do this, so can I (btw, click on the "Mary" link to see her "In the Bluff" blog ... and despite the name, she isn't naked).

I chose an easier recipe than the one Mihl gave out, mostly because I didn't have lots of flours on hand. Instead, I used this recipe from Baking Bites. I substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the bread flour and skipped the egg wash. Oh, and I used one teaspoon of salt rather than the tablespoon called for because that sounds crazy ... even to a salt lover like me.

Though bagel-making turned out to be pretty easy, it was also quite labor intensive. Kneading, waiting for dough to rise, shaping, letting dough rest, boiling in water by four-bagel batches, and finally baking in the oven for 20-ish minutes. Whew!

Luckily, I made plenty and froze some for later use. I ate one and a half (cause they're kinda small-ish) this morning spread with Brother Juniper's Blueberry Spread and the Rich Tofu Cottage Cheese (sans the garlic though) from The Uncheese Cookbook. I took a picture of the dressed bagels, but it was ugly. Sorry.

See ya'll tomorrow on Raw Food day!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to try to make my own bagels - yours look good enough for me to be eating right now!

Agnesss =) said...

Hi Bianca.....!!!!!!!!!!

HOMEMADE BAGELS!!!!!! Yay,SOO GREAT!! Look really delicious..give me one,please!! =D HAh =P

I'm SOO LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR RAW DAY TOMORROW!!!!! =DDDD

Will you try something I like so much..??! I'm so excited bout what you'll enjoy tomorrow..=D
Can't wait to check out!!

Hugs for you!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Loooovely bagels, Bianca!!

Alicia said...

I still think homemade bagels are insanely difficult to make. But hey, I would come over any time to eat yours!

Unknown said...

oh wow..homemade bagels! that's so awesome..i wish i had time to make my own! or would just stop being lazy and make my own. ;)

Anonymous said...

Those bagels are making me so hungry right now. They look great! I must say all the new pictures look awesome too. I am glad you got a replacement camera so quickly. Tell mom and dad thanks from your blog friends! Enjoy your bagels and raw day, can't wait to see what is on the menu.

Jenn said...

Wow. I've made bagels-once and it was a pain-so I applaud your success. They look really yummy.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Homemade bagels is something I've always wanted to try! Oh how I had one of yours right now slathered with some tofutti cream cheese.

Anonymous said...

Your bagels look fantastic! And see, it wasn't hard at all :D. I used different flours, but the recipe works well with 100 % whole wheat flour, too.

Jen said...

oy! you've totally impressed this lazy-assed jew. mazal tov!

jessy said...

aren't homemade bagels the best?!? glad you made some, Bianca! they're sooooo worth it! yours look especially awesome! mmmmmmmmmmm! i would have had a hard time not eating them all for breakfast!

bring on the raw foodz! yay!

Anonymous said...

Homemade bagels are the best! I love making them, I find it so relaxing and not hard at all...but that's also because I used a snand mixer to knead it =P

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

They look so fab! A true carboholic's dream! I need to get off my lazy butt and make some homemade bagels!!
I love your raw food days! YAY!!

Mike K said...

I've wanted to make my own bagels ever since seeing a bagel shop in action on tv, with bagels in a gigantic pot of boiling water - it looks like work, but fun work. Those look really good!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmmm! Homemade bagels are so tasty!