Monday, September 22, 2008

Double Birthday!

First of all, Happy Autumn Equinox! I'll have lovely seasonal foods to share with ya'll in tomorrow's post. But tonight, I have something special to share with you! Poopie Bitch's Ginger-Macadamia-Coconut-Carrot Birthday Cake from Vegan with a Vengeance:

Last night, my friends and I celebrated two birthdays — Leslie, who drove all the way from Asheville, North Carolina for her party, turned 21 and Pat, an old-school vegan buddy, turned 50-something. Honestly, I don't know 50-what because he wouldn't tell us. Here's the birthday folks, smiling after a big slice of Poopie's yummy cake!

Leslie and Pat

Poopie (who has a blog here) is a professional vegan cake decorator, hence the lovely cake above. But she also loves to cook savory dishes too. She catered the whole party (which we held at our friend Vaughan's house), and the food was DEE-LICOUS!

Chef Poopie Bitch (a.k.a. Stephanie)

For starters, she made this tasty Walnut-Mushroom Pate with Crostini:

And then, we dug into this Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Carmelized Onion and Sage Crumb Topping from the Veganomicon:


This was the first time I've tried this dish, and wow! The cashew cream really makes it somethin' special. PB picked the perfect dish for kicking off the fall season.

We also munched on PB's green beans, which she picked up at the Memphis Farmer's Market the day before:

All in all, we had a great time! After pigging out, Leslie helped me finish shelling the lima beans that I've been working on. And then we had a poetry reading and watched a slideshow of old pics of us goofing off in crazy costumes (which we do as often as possible)!

25 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

The cake is a MASTERPIECE! It looks so professional... but then again, I guess it IS professional!

tofufreak said...

mmmm!! that cake looks awesome!!!

all of the catered food looks too good to be true too :D

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That cake is gorgeous!! I want some =) And that ziti, mmm.


On your last comment you said the queso-less dillas would be good on ezekiel pitas which is so weird cuz I was SO close to making it with them!

Chelsea said...

Poopie Bitch is so amazing! Yum yum yum!!!

Unknown said...

poopie's the queen!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for autumn, and for a wonderful birthday celebration!!! So fun!!!

Wow, that Ginger-Macadamia-Coconut-Carrot Birthday Cake is perfection!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Happy autumn to you too! Everything looks so freakin' good! But that awesome cake takes the cake! :)

Anonymous said...

That cake looks amazing! Everything does, really...now why wasn't I invited??

Green Eyes, Green Heart said...

That pumpkin baked ziti looks excruciatingly yummy. Excruciatingly.
I second Shellyfish--why WEREN'T we invited?! ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that I live so far away! You seriously look like you have the most fun and you always eat the most delicious looking food. Everything looks amazing! You are lucky to have such great friends and you are a great friend for making such a beautiful celebration. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that I live so far away! You seriously look like you have the most fun and you always eat the most delicious looking food. Everything looks amazing! You are lucky to have such great friends and you are a great friend for making such a beautiful celebration. Great Job!

Amey said...

oh, I love this post! The food looks amazing! I saw that cake on Flickr... it really is a work of art. I have yet to try to pumpkin zitti, but one of my yoga students just gave me a nice big pumpkin from his yard. mmm.

poopie bitch truly has a superior internet name. It's so rad.

Even more rad is that you had a catered bday party for a 50 yr old and a 21 yr old with a poetry reading!! You all sound like neat people!

:) Amey

J said...

What a fantastic spread. Poopie Bitch really went all out for this party. I love the pictures, it all looks so good. You know, Poopie could come cater my dinner any ol time she wants too. ;-)

jessy said...

yay for double birthdays! twice the fun, hells yeah!

happy autumn equinox to you, too! fall = puffy hearts! (it's my fav!)

the cake looks amazing! i'm gonna have to make that ziti soon - i marked it 'cause it sounded awesome, but i've gotten kinda lazy lately! ahahaa. the green beans look glorious, too! so yummy!

hooray for help in shucking the last of the lima beans. that's awesome!

thedalyn said...

We tried the Pumpkin Baked Ziti two week ago and it's my new favorite out of Vcon. I'm definitely going to make it for the family during the holidays.

Anonymous said...

Wow! All the food looks so tastey.

Anonymous said...

What great food! You always sound like you and your friends have the greatest time together. That's awesome!

Sheridan said...

Yay! Looks like a fun party! Beautiful food! Now the question is....when can I see you for your birthday?? I'm going to be in rehearsal all of October and don't know exactly when I can get away...we need to discuss.

pinkhairedcyn said...

Oooh, that cake looks so delicious. And I love the pumpkin ziti from vcon, I made it for a dinner party and had random omnivores accusing me of sneaking cheese into it.

Anonymous said...

Yay! It was so much fun, we should do that more often! Next time, YOU cook :P

I look shiny in that picture.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

You have great friends. What a good time! and i love that ziti.

T said...

I've made that cake before too- its sooo delicious! Yours looks great!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Damn, that sounds like one tasty celebration!

Anonymous said...

PB, it's just your delightful effervescent nature shining through to the surface.

Vegan_Noodle said...

WoW! I need P.B. to come cater one of my parties!