Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Spam Sushi and Samosas

But not together! That would be weird. Anyway, I've had a half-pack of OmniPork vegan luncheon meat (aka vegan Spam) in the deep freezer for awhile, so I decided to make Spam Sushi with it last week! These salty, meaty filets were perfect sushi filling because they added a salty bite to the otherwise sweet-tangy sushi rice and crisp cucumbers. 

A perfect use for this spam, by the way. I had the other half of the pack in a spam hash awhile back, and it was good. But I think this was better!

Here's a bowl of Khatti Dal that I made from Plant-Based India last week. This uses masoor dal, and it has a tangy (almost sour) flavor. It's made creamy with a little vegan soy yogurt. Really good, though not my favorite dal from the book, admittedly. 

On the side, I had some Trader Joe's Vegetable Samosas with a cilantro chutney that I bought at an Indian market. These TJ's samosas are a new fave. I've picked them up and put them back on just about every trip to TJ's over the years. I don't know I never went through with buying them, but I'm so glad I finally did. I'll be stocking up on these with every trip now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sushi sounds so inventive and yummy! Not sure if one of your cookbooks has the recipe but an Indian tamarind chutney is a really good sweet and sour addition with cilantro chutney to take samosas to the next level! - Sri.

Susan said...

I have a packet of omnipork spam languishing in my freezer, which I must use up because I just bought to tins of a new vegan spam product that has come out in Australia. Who knew I'd be having a vegan spam revival in 2023.