Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Fourth of July Food & Fun!

I'm not a patriotic person, but I do love grilling and fireworks and summer. So I kind of love the Fourth of July. I took advantage of the long weekend to get in lots of outdoor time! On Saturday morning, I ran 7 miles on my favorite trail at Stanky Creek. On Sunday, I chilled in our kiddie pool and enjoyed a beer in the summer sun. One note: A friend has alerted me to some concerning things about Brewdog, but just so you know, I didn't buy this beer. We subscribe to a monthly beer club, and this one was in the June box. 

Later that night, Paul and I went to the city of Memphis' free fireworks show at Liberty Park. They shot off fireworks to Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner," which was originally intended as a protest song (perfect for these crazy times when our rights as women are being stripped away). 

The next day, on actual Fourth of July, Paul and I got our kayaks out and headed for the Wolf River. We kayaked a new-to-us section between Germantown Parkway and Walnut Grove. Overall, it was a little over three miles of easy-breezy kayaking in low current. The river was pretty low at parts, so we got stuck a few times. But nothing a little butt-scooting couldn't get you out of!



When we got home, we fired up the grill and cooked Beyond Brats (for me; Paul had meat ones), Corn on the Cob, and Marinated Asparagus and Mushrooms. A perfect summer meal! And we finished out the night with one of the latest episodes of Stranger Things.



No comments: