Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Field Roast Vegan Chao Cheese Slices! OMG!

Those folks at Field Roast are damn geniuses. Every last one of them. Seriously, have you ever had a Field Roast product that wasn't freaking amazing? No, didn't think so. They make the best vegan sausages, the best vegan hot dogs, the best vegan burgers (but I STILL can't get them here, sigh), and now THE BEST VEGAN CHEESE!!!!

Yes, I said it. I really didn't think Daiya could be topped, and it's still number-one for me in terms of shreds. But the Daiya slices, though delicious, were still missing a little something for me. I couldn't put my finger on it though. It was a texture thing, but I wasn't sure how to define it. Until I tasted Field Roast Vegan Chao Slices. These are made with fermented tofu and coconut oil, and they have the EXACT SAME TEXTURE as good quality dairy cheese slices.


They hold together well and don't stick to the other slices in the package. They have a toothsome bite, yet they melt beautifully when exposed to heat. Think of the Chao Creamy Original slices as fancy deli-style gouda slices. That's what it reminds me of. They also make Chao Coconut Cracker Pepper Slices and Chao Tomato Cayenne Slices, but my Whole Foods doesn't carry those yet. We do have the Creamy Original Slices, and Sheridan and I may have bought every package they had on our last trip there. I hear they've since re-stocked, thank goddess. I can never be without this cheese. Never.

So far, I've mostly been eating it raw, straight out of the package. This may be the first vegan non-nut cheese that tastes just as good cold as it does melted. But it also makes for a perfect Vegan Grilled Cheese. Here, I melted it between two slices of vegan-buttered Alvarado St. Bakery Sprouted Barley Bread.


Because it's great cold, it's also wonderful on cold sammies. This sandwich was basically the best sandwich I've ever made using pre-made products — Field Roast Smoked Tomato Deli Slices (!!!!!!!!!), Field Roast Vegan Chao Creamy Original Slice, spinach, and Wildwood Garlic Aioli.


Those smoked tomato slices are also fan-freakin-tastic. Sheridan brought me those from the Little Rock Whole Foods since ours doesn't carry it. Mmmmmmm.

Anyway, run (don't walk!) to your nearest health food store and STOCK UP ON CHAO. You won't regret it. Swear.

9 comments:

Cadry's Kitchen said...

I'm so excited to try Chao! You're right about Field Roast. Everything they make is terrific, and so I'm not surprised that the Chao is no exception. I don't know when I'll get a chance to try it since everything takes longer to get to Iowa, but I'll definitely check at Whole Foods the next time I'm near one.

Cate Lawrence said...

we've had a Veganz open in leipzig recently, will have to give this cheese a try!

Melbam said...

Awesome! I just picked up their "holiday roast" at the Memphis Whole Foods. Excited to try it with the vegan stuffing WF sells. All of the veggie thanksgiving stuff was on sale last week. I am waiting for us to get the vegan whipped cream!

Richa said...

I know what I am doing this weekend!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Seriously this cheese will change your life, I swear.
OK, people say that about EVERY new vegan product that comes out, but I haven't EVER gotten this excited about anything. I mean, I (OBVIOUSLY!!) love all vegan food but this stuff is THE. BEST.
I visited the Field Roast factory and got a sneak preview several weeks before it was released and I could barely STAND it not being able to shout it's praises to the vegan world!!
So glad it's on store shelves now!!

evilnemec said...

Goddamn, WHY must I have a bad gallbladder?! Even coconut saturated fat doesn't digest. sniffle....I will reunite my tastebuds with you one day, oh cheese!

Princess Laa Laa said...

As a lover of Field Roast Italian and Apple Sage Sausages, I knew that this new cheese had to be awesome. I have never like any cheese substitute. Well, I made a grilled cheese sandwich and OMG WOW YUM !!!!
Creamy, smooth, great flavor. Okay, so now I can have cheese....I am HAPPY.

Annon said...

I love it. Tastes great cold/hot. Cant stand Daiya no matter how many varieties I try it just has a weird taste. Chao is amazing! I've never tried their meat substitutes because they all contain gluten, but the Chao would lead me to believe they are good!

Trixie said...

What is your fav vegan deli meat?