Thursday, June 5, 2014

Everyday Vegan Eats!

I have so many cookbooks! I'm becoming my mom. She's been collecting for years, and her cookbook library contains literally thousands of books. I'm not quite there yet, but I could cook one dish from one book for probably every day of the year and never repeat a book. I've filled up one bookcase, and I'm well on the way to filling up a second.

All that is to say, some books get used once or twice and then never again. Not because they're not good. I love most all of them! But there are just SO MANY. But every once in awhile, I come across a book that I know will enter that coveted spot in the "books I use I lot" pile. You know, the ones with spaghetti stains and powdered sugar all over them. Isa's books fall into that category, as do Terry's and several others. But I think I've found a new one — Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Denver.


I have to say, I'd never even heard of Zsu before Vegan Heritage Press sent me this book to review. But it's one of those books that, when you flip though, you're overwhelmed with things you need to make. Zsu's book is full-color and loaded with pics, so that definitely helps. But it's not just that. I love this book because every single dish is a simple, comfort food staple. There's nothing fancy or gourmet about it. It's just family favorites, the stuff we all grew up eating and now want to veganize.

There's Country-Fried Seitan (yes!!!), No-Fish Filet Sandwiches (with breaded tofu fish!), Irish Corned Cabbage, Vegan Meatloaf with Herbed Gravy, Chili Mac, Baked Macaroni & Cheese (made creamy with vegan cream cheese!), Green Bean Casserole, Fried Vegan Omelet, Southern Biscuits & Gravy (with Soy Curls!), Apple Crumble, and Fudge Brownies. Anyway, you get the idea.

I made the Creamy Macaroni Salad a few weeks back for Cassi's Memorial Day potluck.


This was so simple — pasta, Vegenaise, chopped pickles, peppers, and onions. Voila! This was the perfect side to our grilled burgers and hot dogs. And I made it gluten-free using rice pasta, just because. I have no problem with gluten, but sometimes, I use gluten-free pasta for fun.

Earlier this week, I made the dish I've had my eye on since the book arrived — Tater Tot Casserole!


Holy hell yes. This was so damn good. I love tots more than just about any other food (except for ramen, pizza, and mac & cheeze), and when you bake 'em atop Soy Curls and peas in a creamy sauce, well, that's how you reach food nirvana, my friends. I'm so glad I have some of this left for lunch tomorrow.

On the side, I made Zsu's Sauteed Pesto Veggies.


Her recipe calls for broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower, but the pre-cut broccoli/carrot mix at Kroger was on manager's special. So that's what I got. The veggies are steamed and then tossed with a warm, fresh, homemade pesto. Great for summer when the basil is out of control. I have a habit of steaming veggies and then tossing with nooch or shoyu, so this was a nice change. I'd never think to toss veggies with pesto, but it makes so much sense.

Anyway, LOVE this book. And I can't wait to work my way through it!

5 comments:

Sheridan said...

OMG, TATER TOT CASSEROLE!!! Drooling. Seriously, YUM!!! I want some of that right now!

Nanny C said...

After reading the description, I just have to get the book....

The Preppy Vegan said...

Mouth.watering.uncontrollably.

GlutenFreeHappyTummy said...

manager's specials are so great :) looks great!

GiGi said...

I have had the great fortune of recipe testing for Zsu's book and totally agree that this one of those go-to cookbooks, the ones that at least in my kitchen gather stains.
One of the few recipes I haven't tried yet is the tater tot casserole, do you left overs?