Thursday, April 25, 2013

Fried Okra for One!

Before I get into tonight's post, I need to remind y'all about Friday's Memphis Vegan Bake Sale! If you're local, stop by the South Main Art Trolley Tour from 6 to 9 p.m., and pick up some cupcakes, brownies, cookies, and other treats to benefit the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County. I hear there will be some savory treats too (vegan bacon cheddar scones, anyone?).

Now, about that fried okra. A couple night's ago, I was craving fried okra. But we all know that fried food doesn't reheat so well. So what's a girl to do when she just wants a single serving of fried okra? Well, here's what.


Fried Okra for One
----------------------------
2 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tbsp. cornmeal
Pinch of Cajun seasoning salt
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of paprika
1/2 cup sliced okra
2 Tbsp. coconut oil 
Mix together the dry ingredients in a small bowl.

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet or other heavy-bottomed pan.

Toss the okra slices into the flour mixture and toss until all slices are evenly coated (note: there's no need to dip okra in any kind of binding agent or liquid first because okra's natural sliminess helps the flour mix stick).

When the oil is hot, carefully drop the okra slices into the pan. Stir to coat. Allow to fry for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until okra is browned.

Drain on paper towels before serving.

8 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Hell yes! This kind of thing's the reason I have a mini deep fat fryer!

JL said...

OH, I just pinned that because everyone should know how to make fried okra for one!

Cadry's Kitchen said...

I'm generally not that into okra, but I could make exceptions for this! Deep-fried with cornmeal coating? Yes, please.

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

YUM! I <3 fried okra :)

jess said...

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Papier firmowy said...

Myślę, że widziałem bardziej interesujące wpisy

tender b. said...

Anytime I make breading, I am left with oodles and oodles. I love that this one will leave no leftovers.

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

This is the only way I can eat okra, yum!