Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mad About Muesli

Did you know that muesli was invented in 1900? A Swiss physician named Maximilian Bircher-Benner invented it for the patients in his hospital, where a diet rich in fruits and veggies was a part of their therapy. Smart guy, that Max Bircher-Benner. He actually a pioneer of the high-raw food diet way, way before it was cool.

Anyway, for my next cookbook project, which features veganized versions of trendy foods from the 20th century, I absolutely had to include a muesli recipe! Here's my Hot Muesli with Dates and Almonds:


And here's the recipe. It makes 14 servings of dry mix, so you can store this in your pantry for those weekdays when you don't feel like cookin' a big ole breakfast. Eat plain or sweeten with maple syrup. Top with nut butter (or Biscoff cookie butter if you're feeling naughty).
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot Muesli with Dates and Almonds
Makes 14 1/2-cup servings

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups barley flakes
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped Medjool dates
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Transfer to a storage container.

To cook:
Mix 1/2 cup muesli mix with 1 cup plant milk or water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I love your blog but you accidently transpose the "u" and "e" in muesli.

Bianca said...

Thanks!! I'm the world's worst at transposing vowels! It has been corrected.

Elena said...

I'll give it a try Saturday.

Amey said...

mmm, that looks good! It's all cold and drizzly outside right now, and I am really in the mood for an afternoon treat. :)

xvavaveganx said...

Oooh that muesli looks so good!! I've always been curious about it but never made it. I'm definitely going to have to give that a try!

Vacuum De Watering System said...

thanks for I d usually will I to me to people reading that here post is make do you think Also check have something not Which comment a enjoy with I allowing…

- Portable Concrete Batch Plant | Bitumen Sprayers | Bitumen Pressure Distributors