Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Christmas Cookie Club

Earlier this year, my chick lit-loving friend Cassi read a book called The Christmas Cookie Club and got a wild hair up her ass. You see, the book centers on a group of women who get together once a year for a Christmas cookie swap. Well, Cassi decided to start a real Christmas Cookie Club and invite 12 of her lady friends to swap cookies. Sounds nice, right?

Cassi sent out invites in November, and without really paying much attention to the rules, I eagerly RSVP-ed. Well, let me share with you the rules of Christmas Cookie Club, which Cassi took straight from the book:


Yes, you read that right. Every attendee must make 13 dozen cookies. That's 156 cookies. And she actually asked for a baker's dozen, but we all kinda said, "To hell with that." I honestly didn't think about how many cookies were in 13 dozen until a few days before the event. That's when I realized my Friday night was going to be devoted to baking and baking and baking and baking and more baking.

I decided on the Cool Lemon Cookies from Vegan Food Gifts by Joni Newman. The cookies are supposed to describe your year, and my year was all about the summer. I bought my first house and published my first cookbook this summer. And nothing says summer like lemon. Plus, I knew these cookies would be fairly inexpensive to make in a large quantity since they're free of nuts and other pricey ingredients:


These are amazing! The cookies are soft but substantial. They don't crumble or break. There's lemon extract in the batter, and they're rolled in a mixture of powdered sugar and unsweetened powdered lemonade mix. Yes, friends, the cookies are rolled in Kool-Aid. Does it get any better than that?

Here they are all packaged up and ready to gift:


The party was Saturday night. We had lots of wine and plenty of snacks. I brought a Spinach Artichoke Dip that I'll blog about tomorrow night.

Now, Cassi is not vegan. And only one other vegan lady was invited. But so many people brought vegan cookies, just so Stephanie and I could eat them too! Each lady went home with 12 dozen cookies, and the 13th dozen is going to a charity.

While some of the cookies were not vegan, look at all that were!


There's Cassi's vegan Coconut Macaroons, Nicole's vegan Sweet Potato Spice Cookies, Kristen's Oreo "Poop" Truffles (she had a bad year, so she shaped her truffles like poop), Stephanie's German Spice Cookies, and Karen even veganized her grandma's Tea Cake recipe (those are sugar cookie-like cutouts!).

Now I have a bajillion cookies, so I'll be sharing plenty with my co-workers tomorrow. They can have all the non-vegan ones, but I'll be hoarding a few of the vegan ones for myself.

9 comments:

Amey said...

yay for vegan cookies! it's so nice that so many other non-vegan folks made vegan cookies. Very considerate!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheridan said...

So awesome! Sorry you had to make so many cookies, but what a great idea! And you at least get to leave with as many as you made right? *EAT ALL THE VEGAN COOKIES!!*

foodfeud said...

I looove lemon drop cookies. Nice choice. Did you double the recipe at all, or not risk it and actually clean up and bake 13 separate times??

Rachel from The Vegan Mishmash said...

That sounds like an amazing party, even if that's a lot of work.

bookwormbethie said...

how fun, and sooo super cool that lots of other non-vegans made vegan cookies too. mmmm..... cookies!

Bianca said...

The recipe actually makes 30 cookies, so I baked 5 separate batches. I get nervous about doubling. :-/

FoodandLoathing said...

I would have been so upset by that invitation because I love this kind of thing but a dozen from each person is both too much to make and to get! But it sounds like you and the rest of the group really worked it out with aplomb.

Still, I'd have been that one whiny friend was like, "Can't we make 3 for each person and also 3 for charity and make one nice gift box to a charity of our choice?" And then I'd add a whiny "Huh, why can't we, why can't we, huh?" at the end for good measure.

Lesley Eats said...

OMG, I WANT those lemon cookies!

And so nice that other people made vegan cookies!