Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hamburger Spring Rolls!

Yea, that sounds crazy ... like something only a stoner would dream up. And maybe Ellen and Portia's personal chef Roberto Martin is a stoner. Or maybe not. Who cares? What matters is the guy's creative as all hell. When I was flipping through his Cooking for Carnivores cookbook, I stumbled on a recipe for Hamburger Spring Rolls.

I'm an adventurous eater. I'll eat just about anything so long as it's vegan and doesn't contain licorice. And I'm a sucker for that weird rice paper roll wrapper texture. So I whipped up Martin's recipe and voila:


Y'all, the filling for these is out of this world good. It's veggie bacon (I used crumbled tempeh bacon, but the recipe also suggests cooked and crumbled packaged veggie bacon), chopped pickles, lettuce, tomato, charred onions, avocado, and vegan Thousand Island dressing (I used Organicsville brand, but there's a recipe to make your own).

There's also a recipe for making the charred onions, which are really just caramelized red onions. So delicious! This combo really tastes like a hamburger. And it's even better stuffed inside a spring roll wrapper.

8 comments:

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

Um, YEAH, I'd eat that!

xvavaveganx said...

I know what you mean about the rice paper wrapper texture! And I'm not even a huge fan of burgers and this looks so good!

Caitlin said...

i don't these are weird at all! they look delicious.

in philly, it isn't out of the ordinary to see philly cheesesteak spring rolls on a menu as an appetizer or even served at a catered even, like a wedding!

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

I think I'll be making these...

Elisabeth said...

Think I need to buy some spring roll wrappers!

Anonymous said...

that looks so good! i'm a huge fan of those rice paper wrappers too....i love the colors in the wraps! yum! thanks for sharing!

tender b. said...

A very nice idea...

Bird and Boy Photography said...

I really like this idea!