Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fruity and Nutty

A few weeks back, I was offered samples of Orchard Bar, an all-natural fruit and nut bar, in five flavors:


I often eat bars before my workouts, especially when I'm working out in the afternoon. That space of time between lunch and dinner is just way too long, especially when you throw in a workout. So I decided to try the Pineapple Coconut & Macadamia Bar before an afternoon run:


I love both coconut and macadamia, and pineapple is pretty decent too. I ripped the bar open, took a big bite, and my mouth was overwhelmed with sweetness. Too much sweetness. The large chunks of macadamia nuts were perfect, but I could barely taste the coconut over the cloyingly sweet pineapple. I checked out the ingredients only to learn that the bar contained not only fruit and fruit juice but evaporated cane syrup and tapioca syrup. I think the bars would have been just fine without the added sugars.


Despite my experience with the pineapple flavor, I'd hoped that the other bars wouldn't be so over-the-top sweet. And you know what? The other flavors were all much better. All seemed a tad too sweet for my tastes (and I'm a sugar lover, y'all), but none-so-much as the pineapple flavor. This Strawberry Raspberry & Walnut Bar was much, much tastier. Look at my kitty Gelfling in the background!


The Blueberry Pomegranate & Almond flavor was probably my favorite. I think the natural tang of the pomegranate helps to cut the sweetness.

The best thing about these bars are the nuts. They're in huge chunks, so you feel like you're getting some real substance. They're also a great source of antioxidants, protein, and omega-3s. Plus, they're allergen-free and 60% organic.

My advice: Try these bars, but unless you love super-rich sweetness, avoid the pineapple flavor. Stick with berries, and you'll be just fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love these bars! the pineapple/macadamia nut ones are my fav -- you're right --super sweet! but i like that:) haha

Lesley Eats said...

I used to eat a bar for breakfast every day, but some of the really good ones are fairly expensive. But you can't beat them for convenience! And you get what you pay for...

Bird and Boy Photography said...

Yummy! I want some :)