Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sweet 'n' Spicy

I developed not one, but TWO, new recipes for the cookbook tonight! I'm really trying to get this thing done by the end of the year — at least the recipe development part. For the main course this evening, I created Tangy Tempeh Chops Over Brown Rice:

It's a pork-ish marinated tempeh simmered in a sweet and tangy tomato-based sauce with green peppers. I got the idea from one of those old spiral-bound fundraiser-type cookbooks that my mom loaned me (I believe it was compiled by a church group in Arkansas). It's very, very un-vegan, but I love taking all the old country-style dishes in that book and putting a healthy vegan spin on them.

On the side, I finally tried my hand at hominy with this Spicy Jalepeno Hominy:

My dear friend Wes, who some of you may remember as my former awesome neighbor (he's still awesome, just not my neighbor now), makes the best hominy. So I took his recipe and added jalepenos, cause that's how I roll (for some reason, you can't see any jalepenos in this picture but they're in there). This side dish is super-simple and so comforting. There are few things in life better than plate of hot hominy.

24 comments:

T.Allen said...

Lookin' good! I've never tried hominy-but I'll give it a go some day!

Gina said...

Sounds so good Bianca!! I've never had hominy before, but it looks yummy :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

NIIIICE!!

Lisa said...

Wow, your creative juices were really flowing with two new recipes! Love the way that tempeh looks!

Katy said...

I've never had hominy before, but I would buy some just to try your recipe!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

They both look delicious. I dunno what hominy is but it looks pretty good!!

Jen said...

that sounds great! i've always been a little scared of hominy b/c isn't it soaked in lye?

Unknown said...

I've never had hominy before and keep on hearing about it. it's a sign that I must try it asap. looks ace, Bianca!

Macie said...

Count me in on the group that's never tried hominy. I'll have to give it a shot.

And that tempeh? Jeeze. I. Want. Now!

Unknown said...

i'm BEYOND excited for your cookbook..
those sound SOO delicious. :)

T said...

Wow, those both look fabulous! I love that idea of going through old-school cookbooks. We have quite a few of those too- junior league of alabama 1973, ect. Every single recipe has mayo, ham, and pimentos... gross.

MeloMeals said...

That tempeh looks and sounds sooo delicous!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try your jalapeno hominy! I loved it when I was younger, I'm sure I'll love it now! I think it'd be great to share these new sweet and spicy twists on RawPeople. http://www.rawpeople.com/?utm_source=A&utm_medium=B&utm_campaign=C

jessy said...

i've never had hominy - i'm superexcitedfaced to try it out, Bianca! it looks fantastical! i love yummies with a spicy kick! mmmmm! your tangy tempeh chops 'n brown rice = the best ever! the sauce looks rock'n and it sounds perfect! huzzah! :D

VeganCowGirl said...

Bianca - your comment on by blog made me double over. Love it.

Your double dish wonderland looks pretty fab-o, love the hominy, though now I have to go and google it....Great looking meal.

Zucchini Breath said...

That hominy looks very interesting!

Happy St Pat's!

Anonymous said...

I love hominy, but I never know what to do with it! I'm super excited for this recipe. That tempeh looks super too.

A_and_N said...

I've never tried hominy! Must-try!

Vegan_Noodle said...

You mean we have to wait till next year for your cookbook? Doh! That's okay, just gives me something to look forward to :-)

Laura said...

hominy AND tempeh?! two of my favorites!! i can't wait to test these! :)

Anonymous said...

These both look so good, Bianca! Way to crank out the crunk! (Sorry, I'm so lame).

aTxVegn said...

I have a recipe for a hominy and jalapeno salad. I haven't made it in a long long time, but it's so simple and so good. Yours looks really nice!

Sheridan said...

Mmmmmm...hommmmmmmminy! I want some of it!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oooh hominy! yum.