Sunday, October 19, 2008

Would You Care for a Spot of Tea...

... if it has alcohol in it? We drank spiked tea at my 28th birthday party on Friday night. The theme was "Dead Southern Belles" so drinking out of tea cups seemed appropriate, but plain ol' hot tea would have been pretty boring. So we drank Georgia Peach Iced Tea (sans the ice). It's a Southern twist on the classic Long Island Iced Tea. Here we are enjoying our beverages:

Left to right: Anne, Steph, Misti, Me (recognize the dress? it's also in my banner), Greg (in a wig and dress), Holley, and Judith ... by the way, we're trying to look solemn here...

I floated peach slices in each cup for extra yumminess:

We also snacked on Steph's (a.k.a. Poopie Bitch's) AMAZING Vegan Petit Fours:

I wanted Steph to look decapitated here ... you know, since it was a "dead" party and all.

Steph runs a cake business and she had to make a crap ton of these for a wedding the day before my party. So she made extras for us! There were two flavors, but I don't remember exactly what they were. One was vanilla-y and the other was ginger-ish. Both were to die for! And so perfect for a tea party!

I made flower-shaped Tofu Dill Salad Finger Sandwiches:

I used the tofu salad recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance and multigrain bread from the Whole Foods Bakery. Then I attempted to cut the sandwiches out with flower cookie cutters. Some looked better than others, but they were still pretty cute.

I also made Walnut Mushroom Paté with Whole Wheat Mini Toasts:

The paté recipe is from the Veganomicon, and it's one that Steph's made on a number of occasions for special events. I'd tried hers and knew it'd be perfect to make for this party. It's made with cremini mushrooms, toasted walnuts, onions, vinegar, and some other spices.

Wes couldn't stay for the party since he burned his hand while cooking biscuits last week, but he showed up early to drop off his super-delicious Vegan Corn Salad:

He combines white corn, tomatoes, red onion, green pepper, and since he's not vegan, he usually adds mayonaise. But this time, he borrowed some Veganaise so me and my crazy vegan friends could eat it. Wes also gave me a temperature-control deep fryer as my birthday gift. I can't wait to deep fry some breaded okra in it!

Oh, and in case you'd like that Georgia Peach Iced Tea recipe, here goes:
1 pint vodka
1 pint light rum
1 pint gin
1 pint peach schnapps
2 bottles sweet and sour mix

Combine in a large pitcher and chill. This makes about 15 servings.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rule is so many ways. Having a Dead Southern Belles Party is one of the ways.

:]

Amey said...

hooorah!
happy birthday Bianca!
What a super fun party.

Theresa said...

Happy birthday. Your parties look so bad ass.

Anonymous said...

Awesome party theme and awesome food!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I remember being 28 like it was um...12 years ago (which it was). It was a great age - much better than 29, which is when I had my pre-30 freak-out. 30 was actually pretty good because I had pre-freaked.

The eats look fab and the party guests do too. I'm glad you had an enjoyable birthday with your family. The carrot cake looks dreamy.

You are absolutely one of my favorite living or dead southern belles!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated! It looks like you had a great time and it was all so creative. I love it! Hope all your wishes came true.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Holy goodness, what a party!!! You definitely celebrated in style, Bianca!! :0)

KitteeBee said...

FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J said...

Happy (late) birthday! That party sounds like it was super fun! And all that food looks so good - especially that mushroom-walnut pate!

jessy said...

your dead southern belle party looks awesome, Bianca! and it looks like everyone had fun, too! i love the little sammies and the wee toast - they're just too cute! how super sweet of Wes to drop off some tasty corn salad, and for Steph to make some tasty treats, too! mmmmmmmmmm!

thanks for the georgia peach iced tea recipe! i'm totally gonna have to try this - complete with peach slices! hooray!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

You guys know how to have fun! I love all the outfits and the food looks amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! It looks like it was a great time and what a spread! Hand me some of that spiked tea now, will you?!!??!

Green Eyes, Green Heart said...

Glad you had a GREAT birthday, even though I wasn't able to make it!! :(
Everything looks super tasty! And Steph's petit fours look especially yum!

Erin said...

That looks like it was a fun fun party! Very cool theme. Love all the finger foods too, perfect for a tea party.

Jen said...

happy belated birthday, and i loved the food pics!

Anonymous said...

Awww, y'all look adorable! And your finger sandwiches are awesome.

Plus, deep fryer = best birthday present ever.

Vegan_Noodle said...

What an awesome way to celebrate your birthday!! Such a creative concept for a party...

and Happy belated Birthday!

Green Eyes, Green Heart said...

PS: Did you ever name your 'pod yet??

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun =)


I can't believe how amazing those petit fours looks!

Chelsea said...

What a fun idea for a party! The guy in the wig with the makeup and beard goin on cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun! Happy Birthday!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

y'all look mahvelous darlin. Thanks for the Georgia Peach Iced Tea recipe!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

First of all...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Second, your party looks so fun, and the food looks perfect! Yay for 28!

funwithyourfood said...

AWESOME.. my birthday is next month.. you really should give me some party idea lol

Teddy

Anonymous said...

I've just copied & pasted the Tea recipe. Love it! You guys look like you we're having a ball!

Anonymous said...

At first I thought the bowl of vegan corn salad was a bowl of Lucky Charms! Ooooops! The food looks delicious, and I love the photo with everybody snazzed up!

Sheridan said...

Hahahaa! You look great! I think it's funny that Misti and Holley are the only two not dressed up! I WANNA COME TO A DRESS UP PAWHHHTY!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Woo, looks fun! Hottest dead belles ever!

Katy said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Your party sounds awesome! Especially that "tea"... :)