Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Breakfast Casserole

Every year, my family gathers at my Granny's for Christmas breakfast (in lieu of the traditional Xmas dinner). There's always tofu scramble for me and Gimme Lean. I usually bring vegan biscuits and gravy with me as well. Everybody else eats omni breakfast foods, including my Granny's beloved breakfast casserole. I don't know what's it in since I can't even remember the last time I was able to eat it, but I know it contains scrambled egg, cheese, and some kind of breakfast meat.

In honor of that baked assemblage of morning foods, I threw together this Vegan Breakfast Casserole to eat for brekkie throughout the week:

Sorry for the poor picture quality but I was working with some crappy lighting last night. Here's a better shot of the individual slice I ate this morning:


Vegan Breakfast Casserole
--------------------------------
4 slices of whole grain or sprouted grain bread, torn into pieces

1 lb. tofu, scrambled (I use garlic powder, nooch, onion powder, turmeric, etc.)

1 package Gimme Lean, fried in slices and then cut into chunks

1 serving of noochy sauce (you know, the nooch, flour, water, Dijon, margarine deal) or use your
favorite cheezy sauce recipe
1 large tomato, sliced


Preheat oven to 350 while you prepare tofu, sausage, and sauce. Place torn bread in bottom of a casserole dish. Top with a layer of scrambled tofu. Then add a layer of cooked vegan sausage. Pour cheezy sauce over the top and spread evenly. Top with tomato slices and bake for 15 minutes.

23 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, comforting!

jessy said...

i totally forgot all about breakfast casserole! how could i?! we used to eat breakfast casserole every christmas morning. mmmmmmmmmmmm! your veganized verson of yum looks scrumptious, Bianca! i'm totally going to have to try your recipe - i think it looks super stellar - and it's bring'n back memories, too! ah! yay!

J said...

I'm not sure I've ever had a breakfast casserole! I love that you veganized your Granny's recipe - too neat.

T said...

My family has a recipe like this too! Maybe I'll bring this to brunch this holiday season. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Yum yum yum! One of my favorite things about the holidays is the big, family-style breakfasts. This would be perfect!

Jen said...

well done bianca!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I don't think I've ever had a breakfast casserole, vegan or otherwise. What a yummy idea!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

It looks so delish! I bet your Granny would approve. I love all your Granny posts! <3

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! Did you find it to be similar to your Granny's recipe?

Agnesss =) said...

Hey!!

WooW!! That looks great!! :D Here we don't have a tradition to eat casseroles for breakfast..but I think it's a nice idea!! :D

Looks yummy!! =))

If you have time...pls visit my new post =))

Have a great time..

Vegan In The VI said...

Maybe some hash browns or tater tots would be good in there. I could eat that whole thing in one sitting.

Anonymous said...

Yum! That sounds delicious. I <3 casseroles.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

oooh! genius!

Green Eyes, Green Heart said...

I WILL BE MAKING THIS OVERTHE WEEKEND!! YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!

Anonymous said...

I want! Now!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

OMG, I am so saving this recipe. Thanks Bianca!!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for posting it!!!

Anonymous said...

way to get some delicious fuel in for the day!

Becka Robinson said...

Your recipes look so comforting! I'm going to have to try that breakfast scramble. Looks delicious!

Me said...

What a great idea! This would be perfect to make for company at Sunday brunch.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, a casserole! Sounds tasty.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Right now, you are my hero. I need to make this asap.

Anonymous said...

Just made this & put it in the fridge before baking, so I can bake right before breakfast. Looks great, smells great...I'm sure it's going to taste great! Thanks for the awesome recipe! <3 -MistyS.-