Thursday, January 3, 2008

Vegan Mac & Cheeze!

Don't hate me, but I don't have a pic for this one. Silly me forgot to bring my camera to the cooking demo at my animal rights meeting. For the past 4 years, I've been involved with Memphis' only vegetarian/animal rights group, Food Awareness (also known as Memphis Area Animal Rights Acitivists). I'm actually one of the founding members. We meet monthly at Wild Oats (1st Thursday of each month) to plan social outings and AR actions.

Last month, someone suggested reserving some space at the end of the monthly meeting for a vegan cooking demo. Of course I volunteered! I wanted to choose something easy that resembled a common comfort food. So vegan mac & cheese seemed perfect!

Here's my recipe (kind of adapted from "The Garden of Vegan"):

1 lb. macaroni or rotini
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups water
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated soy margerine
1 tsp. Dijon mustard

Boil pasta according to package directions. In the meantime, combine yeast, flour, salt, and garlic powder in a saucepan. Whisk in 2 cups water, and turn heat on to medium. Stir continuously until sauce thickens and begins to bubble a little (like making gravy). Remove from heat and stir in margerine and mustard. Drain water from pasta and stir in cheese sauce.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did the demo go? I wish I could've been there!! Were there lots of folks there? I hope so.
Perhaps one month I can plan to be in town for it as a guest cook or something...

I bet this recipe would be really good with some leftover chili mixed into it along with the cheeze for a chilimac type thing.

Bianca said...

There were about 10 to 12 people there. Only Diana, Truth, me, Vaughan, Max, and Rita were regulars. Everyone else was new! You should TOTALLY come and do a demo. That would be sooo cool!

I think next month, Diana's going to show us her mock tuna salad.