Thursday, January 24, 2008

Booze Cupcakes!

My friend Greg turned 28 yesterday! He's a drinker, and he doesn't care for sweets. So I tricked him by spiking his birthday cupcakes with booze!



I got the recipe for Chocolate Cake with Booze Frosting from a vegan blog called Parsnip Parsimony. Her cake recipe came from another blog, run by Kittee Kake. Basically, it was regular vegan chocolate cake, but the frosting consisted of Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding mix (which is accidentally vegan), Earth Balance, soymilk, strawberry jam, and a 1/2 cup of Barcardi 151.

Imagine eating a shot of liquor. That's what the cupcakes tasted like. They really needed a chaser. If you had 3 or 4, you could actually get a little buzz.

On a completely different note, I made Brown Sugar Baked Tofu Ham with Red-Eye Gravy for breakfast today. I marinated the tofu slices in a mixture of things that make it taste like ham (it's going in the cookbook, but I can tell you that brown sugar is involved). Then I baked them for 45 minutes.



Red-Eye Gravy is a Southern thing. It's traditionally made with the fat left in the pan after frying ham, black coffee, oil, and salt. I used a little tofu ham marinade, black coffee, olive oil, and salt. It's not a thick gravy, more like an au jus sauce. You just spoon it over the ham for extra flavor. It's called Red-Eye Gravy because the separation of the oil and coffee make little circles, like eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! The cupcake shots look great!
I think for spring break (spring break!!!) I will try coming up with booze cake flavor combinations that mirror popular cocktails.

Bianca said...

Yum! I'd like to try a Cosmo Cupcake!

Dianna Dalton said...

Those cupcakes were good, even though I only got a tiny taste of the icing, by accident. Hart ate the icing off and I ate the cupcake :) That was an awesome idea... I want that tofu ham, missy.