Monday, February 6, 2023

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Lulu's Bakery & Cafe

I've posted about Lulu's, my friend Don and Stephanie's vegan bakery, about a million times. But until recently, they were just selling stuff at the Cooper-Young Farmers Market. But now they have their very own brick-and-mortar, and it's officially open! They did briefly have a stall inside Puck Food Hall in downtown Memphis, but Puck closed during the pandemic, and they lost their space. But now Lulu's is in a stand-alone space at 3119 Poplar Avenue, across from East High School. 

They've been softly open for a few weeks, but their official grand opening was this past Saturday. I've been trying to make Lulu's a Friday lunch habit since I'm off work very early on Fridays. Here are a few things I've since they've opened in their new space.

Last Friday, I had this Blackeyed Pea Sausage Biscuit with Tomato Jam. YUM. I love savory-sweet combos more than just about anything, and this is just that. The sausage is handmade with blackeyed peas, and it's super meaty. The biscuit is flaky and soft.

The Breakfast Sando is probably my favorite thing. It comes on a sourdough roll, which is delicious. But sometimes, I like it on a bagel. This has tofu egg, smoked carrot bacon, and cashew cheese.

There's also a Mushroom Sando if you're feeling more lunch-y. This has blue oyster mushrooms, sweet and sour cabbage, and a beet sauce on sourdough focaccia. That bread is delectable.

And you can get a soup of the day on the side if you need more — though the sandwich is pretty big! A couple weeks ago, I got this Bean-Kale-Sweet Potato Soup on the side of my sandwich. And it came with even more bread!

Lulu's also has lots of sweets to choose from. There's usually coffee cake, muffins, and cookies. Last Friday, there were also Blueberry Lemon Miso Scones. These were perfect. And that miso is made from scratch! You can buy their homemade miso by the tub.

3 comments:

Vegkat said...

All that food looks delicious, wish we had a place like this!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that you can get Lulu's whenever you want. Everything looks so delicious and other worldly...... - Sri

Susan said...

Lulu's is definitely on my dream list of places to eat at one day.