Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Christmas on New Year's!

Christmas was a little weird this year. The winter storm that swept much of the country hit the South, and we were iced in for much of Christmas weekend. By Sunday (Christmas), the roads in Memphis were fine, but my parents live two and a half hours to the north in the Arkansas Ozarks. And their roads were not fine. So Paul and I opted to stay home and celebrate with our pets. 

But that meant my parents and I needed to reschedule Christmas. So on New Year's Day, I drove to their house, and we enjoyed New Year's dinner and opened our presents. When I got there, my mom was just finishing up our traditional good luck meal of Blackeyed Peas, Cornbread, Turnip Greens, Boiled Cabbage, Vegan Chicken & Dumplins, and Fried Potatoes. A perfect start to the year!

And then it was present time! Paul couldn't make it, but I brought his gifts back home with me. I got lots of running gear and running-related gifts, plus a Le Creuset kettle. All I do these days is run and eat and drink coffee/tea!

Paul and I had a personalized neon sign made for my parents' home bar!

And they both got liquor gifts and plenty more.

Maynard enjoyed his Christmas gingerbread dog treats.

After presents, my dad made me a Bloody Mary in a vintage Spuds McKenzie glass from the 1980s. Christmas Bloody Marys are a tradition for me and my dad.

On Monday morning, we had a big breakfast of Just Egg, Biscuits and Gravy, Vegan Sausage, and Hash Browns before I hit the road. 

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad you were able to still get up to see them, even if it was a week later.

Jenny said...

Oh, that looks fun- I like how the tree was still up (well, of course it was- you guys hadn't really had Christmas yet!) You got some good presents- I also got Born to Run 2. Oh, and all that food looks delicious! Your mom and dad are great cooks.