Thursday, April 22, 2021

Chattanooga Camping Trip, Days 1 & 2

Paul turned 41 on Monday, so we took a camping trip to Chattanooga, TN, to celebrate! Last year, Paul bought a tiny RV, and we enjoyed taking it out last summer and fall. But then it got too cold to camp! Glad it's spring, and we're back at it! We arrived at the Lookout Mountain KOA (actually in Trenton, GA, about 30 minutes south of Chattanooga) on Friday afternoon. This was our home for four days.


After we got set up, we took a mini hike on the half-mile nature trail surrounding our campsite. This was the first KOA we'd stayed at that an on-site trail! I was very excited. 


After our hike, I made up some Campsite Nachos! Mine had tortilla chips, vegan sausage, black beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, sauteed kale, Daiya, and avocado. We have a tiny kitchen on the back of our camper with two burners and a microwave, so cooking is a breeze!


The next morning, I got to use my new Biltmore camping mug that I picked up on our last camping trip to Asheville last October. I packed Starbucks instant coffee and powdered coconut creamer. It's not my usual fresh-ground French press coffee, but it's much easier!


I went on a short 3ish-mile run around the KOA trail and up and down some very steep hills around the campsite. This flatlander really struggles with hills!


For breakfast that morning, I made us both Pancakes and Vegan Sausage. I pre-mix the flour in one jar and wet ingredients in another before we leave, so making pancakes is pretty easy. I always THIS recipe for the fluffiest-ever vegan pancakes!


After breakfast, we drove to Prentice Cooper State Park in Chattanooga in search of a trail that led to a waterfall. But once we got there (about a 40 minute drive), we learned the trail we wanted was another 40 minutes into the park. So we decided to hike the Cumberland Trail instead since it was just inside the park entrance. It didn't take us to a waterfall, but we did cross this beautiful creek. 


Paul wanted to get in the middle of the creek, and he fell twice trying to get out there. I so wish I'd gotten video of that. It was hilarious, and now he's covered in bruises.


Our hike in total was about two miles, and by the time we got back to the car, we were ready for lunch. I wanted to be sure and try the vegan restaurant Sluggo's while I was in Chattanooga. So we headed that way. The whole menu looked amazing, but I settled on the Philly Cheesesteak with seitan and a noochy cheese sauce.


Plus, a side of Smoky Collard Greens. This meal was amazing, and I wish I could eat it again! Sluggo's is still doing takeout only, but they have a nice shaded patio. Paul got a pizza from Pizza Bros. next door, and we had a nice lunch oustide.


From there, we went to Heaven & Ale Brewing Co. and had a beer on the patio and then on to Lookout Winery. Lookout Winery overlooks Nickajack Lake, so we had a lovely view while we sampled some wines.



We made it back to the campsite just before sunset. Just in time to take some silly pics!


And to light a campfire. I roasted some veggie dogs for a late dinner. The veggie dog photo was terrible, but here I am roasting dogs in my PJs.


I'll be back with pics and tales from Days 3 and 4 next week!

No comments: