Monday, March 1, 2021

Injera, Granola, & Power Pancakes!

I've been craving Ethiopian food for several weeks, and I finally satisfied that craving last Thursday with some takeout from Abyssinia. I got the Veggie Combo Platter, which has enough food for 2-3 meals. And I added extra injera to my order because I love the stuff so much! Here's half of what was in the takeout box — several wats (Ethiopian lentil stews), sauteed cabbage, potatoes with carrots, collards, lentil salad, beet salad, potato salad, and green salad. 

Last time I ordered takeout from Abyssinia, I divided the order into three meals, which was a better idea. It was really too much food for two meals, and I was more stuffed than I wanted to be after eating all this. But it was sooooo good.

I had two pieces of injera leftover, so on Saturday, I whipped up a quick pre-run breakfast of Injera Fitfit from Teff Love. This simple Ethiopian breakfast dish is made with bits of torn injera and cooked onions soaked in a spicy berbere-infused sauce. Did it make me run fast like the Ethiopian elite runners? No, but it was sure was tasty. 

My dad made me some Keto Granola (pecans, sunflower seeds, coconut), and I mixed that with some locally made Gin Lot non-keto granola (made with oats), plus blueberries and oatmilk. This was a nice change for breakfast! It's been awhile since I've had granola with milk.

On Sunday, my friend Megan and I ran a very muddy 10K trail race at Shelby Farms. It was a noon race, so I wanted something a little heavier than my usual pre-race bagel. I made the Buckwheat & Pinole Chia Pancakes from the original No Meat Athlete book (not the cookbook) with a side of Beyond Sausage. These pancakes were inspired by the Tarahumara people of Mexico, who eat pinole before their long-distance runs. They're really good and super-healthy with buckwheat flour, cornmeal, chia seeds, and maple.

No comments: