Thursday, March 21, 2019

Vegan Eggy Eats for Spring!

Yesterday was the first day of Spring, and I couldn't be more thrilled! I hate winter with a passion. I hate being cold. I hate having dry skin. I hate wearing layers and shoes with socks. I hate dead plants. But Spring is here, and that means green plants and warmer weather and supple skin and — most importantly — tee-shirts, shorty-shorts, flats, and tank tops. Oh, and brunching on patios (the ultimate Spring experience).

The Spring Equinox is also known as Ostara, and traditionally, eggs are eaten to celebrate the Earth's fertility (hence the Easter tradition with dyed eggs). So every year on Ostara, I center my meals around vegan eggs. Yesterday for lunch, I tried the Just for All Egg (finally found it for sale in Memphis!) in a Breakfast Burrito.


I'll do a full post on Just Egg soon, but for now I'll just say, this stuff is amazing! It really does taste and look like real eggs. Also in my burrito: roasted potatoes, tempeh bacon, spinach, vegan cheese, and salsa.

After work, my friends Megan and Pam came over for an Ostara ritual and celebration. We enjoyed my Tofu Eggless Olive Salad from Cookin' Crunk on multigrain crackers.


And I made the Classic Kale Salad from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook. I love this versatile recipe that suggests different veggie, nut, and dried fruit options. For this version, I used carrots, red cabbage, celery, red onion, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries. Plus, I used springy herbs, like dill, thyme, and tarragon.


Pam brought some Treeline Garlic-Herb Cashew Cheese and wine, so we also had plenty of wine and cheese. For dessert, I grabbed a few springy treats from the cafe at Crosstown Arts for us to split. I got a slice of Carrot-Pineapple Cake.


And a Meyor Lemon Almond Handpie. I cut these into little bite-sized pieces so we could all try them.


After our feast, we did a seed blessing and planted lavender, thyme, and lemon balm infused with our hopes and intentions for the year ahead. And we did Tarot readings! Happy Ostara!

3 comments:

Hillary said...

I love spring too! It's definitely my favorite season. I love the freshness and newness and hope of it all!!!
I'll probably never try the Just Egg because of the price to be honest!! But I think your tofu eggless salad looks amazing!

Sarah said...

Oooh what delicious and festive meals! I seriously love breakfast burritos, I really need to make one soon. Good to know about the Just Egg! It is a little splurgy for me but maybe if I ever see it on sale! That hand pie sounds so amazing, yum!

Susan said...

We just had Mabon here, though with the weather still mostly above 30 degree Celcius, I am not feeling the seasons changing. Still, I had a little Mabon inspired dinner with a roasted pumpkin and barley salad, and a roasted apple cheesecake. All of which could be eaten at room temperature or chilled.