Monday, December 12, 2016

Vegan Drinks "Too Much Red Wine" Holiday Party!

Our friends Jennifer and Simon offered to host a holiday party in lieu of a regular Vegan Drinks December restaurant meetup. Jennifer said they had "too much red wine" (as if there's such a thing!) and needed help drinking it. The rest of us said we'd be glad to help with that problem.

So on Saturday night, Jennifer and Simon invited us all over for glass after glass of red wine and good company. All the rest of us had to do was bring a vegan dish to share. Here's Simon discussing a few of the wine choices.


He poured my wine into this GIANT glass. Fancy!


A kitchen shot with Don, Sheila (Vaughan's drag alter-ego), Cassi, Shay, Nicole, and co-host Jennifer.


Jennifer made the Kalamata Olive Dip from Veganomicon. It had a silken tofu base and blended kalamatas. I LOVE olives and couldn't get enough of this. We all stood around the kitchen snacking on dip for quite awhile before we fixed real plates.


I brought a couple of dishes from my friends Justin and Amy's new cookbook, The Chubby Vegetarian Cookbook. Justin and Amy live in Memphis and run the blog of the same name. Their new book is awesome, and I'll be posting a full review soon! Here's their Smashed Chickpea Dip, which looks like hummus but is actually nothing like hummus. It's smashed chickpeas cooked with white wine, capers, and garlic.


I also made their Vegetable-Packed Napa Cabbage Wraps with Peanut Sauce. The filling is made with tofu, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, and spices. So good! More on this in that future post.


Shay brought her famous Homemade Pizza! She makes this for a lot of potlucks, and it's always a hit. Homemade crust, homemade sauce, vegan cheese, veggies.


Nathan and Paul brought Spinach-Artichoke Dip from Thug Kitchen. Very garlicky and delicious!


Cassi whipped up this yummy Chopped Salad with baked tofu, dried cranberries, mushrooms, cabbage, and a raspberry-pomegranate dressing.


Steven made Spaghetti with Mushrooms. Perfect with wine!


Another wine shot!


By the end of the night, Jennifer said we'd finished off 12.5 bottles of red wine, and they STILL had lots left! Such a good time! Thanks Jennifer and Simon for hosting and providing all that amazing wine.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

I've checked out Veganomicon so many times from the library and somehow have missed that dip! I love Kalamata olives, I need to make that! All the food looks amazing. I can't wait to hear more about the cabbage wraps, I love a good wrap. Looks like a really fun amazing night.

House Vegan said...

This looks like so much fun! I've always been curious about the Kalatama dip. I loooooove olives!

Unknown said...

I need some friends like yours...!! What a great evening! That kalamata dip is now on my holiday dinner apps list, i know that's something i will love. And yeah, if i knew someone who made pizza like that i would definitely beg to have it at any potluck.
Ttrockwood