Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Seattle VegFest!

I'm back! I spent the weekend in rainy Seattle, where I did two food demos, signed copies of Cookin' Crunk, and stuffed myself silly with amazing vegan food at Seattle VegFest. I have lots of mouth-watering food pics, so I'm dividing my Seattle posts into three. Tonight, I'll share with y'all some pics from the festival and then tomorrow and Thursday, I'll show y'all everything else I ate outside the fest (and the cool vegans I hung out with).

My publisher — Book Publishing Company — is super sweet to send me and other BPC authors to speak and sign books at VegFests across the country. This time, I joined some of my fave author friends Ellen Jaffe Jones, Miyoko Schinner, and Alan Roettinger. We stayed at the Inn at Queen Anne, a historic boutique hotel just a few blocks from the Space Needle.


I didn't have time to ride to the top though because I was too busy with VegFest (and too busy eating — let's be honest). I did demos, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, on BBQ Tempeh and Black-eyed Pea Corn Fritters. Tofu Mom's friend snapped this cool shot with the recipe in the foreground. I think it's kinda funny that they called me a "chef." I'm totally not a chef. Ha! Just a cook.


After my demos on both days, I signed books and met some awesome Northwest vegans, like Tessa from Spokane.


I also saw some cool things, like this bumper sticker — Eat People, Not Animals. I would so put that on my car if I could find one.


Ellen Jaffe Jones, author of Eat Vegan on $4 a Day, Kitchen Divided, and co-author of Paleo Vegan, is a book-selling wiz. We could all take some tips from her if only we had her tireless stamina. She's steady-sellin' all day everyday at VegFest without even taking food breaks. And it pays off. Ellen sells a TON of books! That cool dude in the white shirt is my publisher, Bob.


I didn't snap any pics of Alan Roettinger at the fest (but I have some from hangout time outside the fest, so I'll share those later). Alan, author of Speed Vegan, Extraordinary Vegan, and co-author of Paleo Vegan, made minty chocolate truffles to hand out. So good! There's a pack of truffles on top of he and Ellen's new book.


Miyoko, the master vegan cheese-maker, was there too! She made mozzerella from Artisan Vegan Cheese on Saturday, and on Sunday, she made recipes from her other book, Japanese Vegan Cooking. She came out in a kimono and spoke Japanese, and it blew everyone away. Here she is backstage! (Btw, Miyoko is starting her own vegan cheese company, so it'll soon be available in stores!!!!)


 Here are all of our books together at the BPC table!


Of course, VegFest isn't just about demos and speakers. It's also about the FOOD SAMPLES! OMG! Samples galore. On Saturday, I didn't even leave the fest for lunch because I was able to make a meal out of samples. There were lines for just about every sample table, but it was worth it.


Mighty-O was there with tiny vegan doughnuts! I might have eaten a million of these.



And Field Roast was sampling their new burgers. Whoa! Best vegan burger ever. Seriously. If I can find these at my Whole Foods, I'll probably never buy another brand.


I also fell in love with Neat Burger. It's a dry burger mix made from nuts. You can form it into meatballs, patties, or crumbles. I'll definitely be ordering some of this.


There was soooo much more, of course. But I was too busy eating to take pics. I'll be back tomorrow with pictures from a few meals outside the fest!

14 comments:

Lorrie Haley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lorrie Haley said...

I wish I could have gone. I would have liked to meet you! I was not able to go this year. Maybe next year. Looks like it was super fun!

Kayla @ Will Run For Avocado said...

Oh my gosh! I already love Field Roast frankfurters... but BURGERS?! Those sound AMAZING. I need to get out to a VegFest one of these days - glad you had a great time!

Sarah said...

Congrats on the demo!! It looks like you all had a fun time and got to sample some great treats! The tiny donuts are so cute and those vegan burgers sound delicious. I'll have to see if they have them at my WFs.

Amey said...

cool post! I love VegFests! I've had to miss the SF VegFest two years in a row now, and I miss it! It's really neat that your publisher really supports you and the other authors with such enthusiasm. I love that. I am super excited for Miyoko's line of cheeses - AND for Field Roast burgers. Also, I used to work at the Seattle Center, for 2.5 years... seeing your picture of the Space Needle takes me back! <3

Ellen Jaffe Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen Jaffe Jones said...

Thanks for all your kind words, Bianca! Truth be known, I did survive on Alan's truffles and his awesome trail mix. And the raw bar booth across from us. ;) Thanks for posting all this. See...you're the master whiz when it comes to blogging. I need to take a few lessons on that!

Great seeing you again and looking forward to your sequels too. Do your passion and the money will come. In theory. ;)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I got to try Neat and the Field Roast burgers at Natural Products Expo West, but I'm jealous of those Mighty-Os! How cool that you got to experience Seattle VegFest.

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

Looks like you had a blast, and now I really want to try that field roast burger!

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

ooo thanks for the updates on new burgers! I'll have to keep an eye out for those products (I ADORE field roast!)

Unknown said...

Thanks for pics and updates. Will be in Memphis in October for conference. They have a wholefoods in Memphis?

Cadry's Kitchen said...

It looks like it was a super fun event! I so cannot wait to try those Field Roast burgers. I remember when I first heard of them being offered at some professional sports arena last year. I was hoping they'd enter the mainstream market. I hope my grocery store carries them when they become available!

That's so awesome that Miyoko is starting her own cheese business. That is going to be huge!

Bianca said...

Diana, Memphis does indeed have a Whole Foods. It's a big, new awesome one!

Susan said...

Seattle is my favourite! I love it so much. Can't wait to see what you ate out and about. :)