Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sweet Tater Waffles

Hey y'all! Short post tonight since it's a holiday weekend and all. Not that I'm doing anything for Labor Day, but I do get to stay up late tonight and watch movies since I'm off work Monday. So I'm just gonna show y'all what I ate for breakfast last week — Sweet Potato Waffles from Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia Simpson:

It's been way too long since I've pulled a cookbook off my shelf. I've been so busy testing my own recipes to get my cookbook done in time that I haven't had much time to cook other people's recipes. But I'm mostly done with my breakfast section, so I finally had the opportunity to try some breakfast recipes from my beloved cookbook collection. Of course the first book I reached for when I had the chance was Alicia Simpson's awesome collection of comfort food.

These waffles were made with mushed up sweet taters, so they had a really neat texture. And you could taste a faint hint of the sweet potato too. I topped mine with hot sorghum syrup and blueberries (not pictured).

Hot waffle tip: When I want waffles on week days, I whip together the batter on Sunday night. Then I cook up the whole batch in my waffle maker and store them in the fridge in a large bowl. Every morning during the week, I toast two of the waffles, top 'em with syrup, and eat 'em for breakfast. They taste just as fresh as they would if I'd made 'em that morning.

13 comments:

vegiebug said...

your idea of keeping pre-made waffles in the fridge is both gluttonous and genius! Amazing. They look delicious :D

The Voracious Vegan said...

DELICIOUS! I love love love your idea of keeping pre-waffles in the fridge. That's genius! My husband is always rushed in the morning to go to work (while I'm snoozing away) and I hate that he usually skips breakfast. I bet if we had a batch of ready made waffles on hand he wouldn't have to do that. Thanks!

Just Us said...

Never thought about sweet tater waffles...sounds good though. :o) I do love the idea of the pre made waffles!

Nicole said...

I've never thought to make sweet potato waffles! Gosh, they look awesome. Anything with sweet potatoes is perfect in my eyes!

The Health Sensei said...

just reading "sweet tater waffles" made my heartbeat quicken. i love the creativity of southern vegan. i am completely enamored by it.

Ricki said...

I do love everything sweet potato, so I bet I'd adore these, too! They look and sound great. Hope you're having a terrific long weekend and enjoying all that time to relax and have fun!

Jessica said...

Great waffle tip - I love my waffles extra crispy so I usually run them through the waffle maker twice. And keeping your own waffles in the fridge/freezer is way better than Eggo and just as easy.

T said...

Ummm great idea! I love sweet potatoes anyway I can get them!

Anonymous said...

I just got that cookbook from the library--I am excited to look through it! Any recipes that I have to try before I return it?

Courtney

Lori said...

Vegan Comfort Food is an awesome cookbook. I've made the Fool Your Friends Tacos and the Sloppy Josephs from that cookbook. I've looked at this sweet potato waffle recipe. I'll have to try that. I've also made extra waffles, but I've thrown them in the freezer and then pulled them out and toasted them. That worked well, too.

Vegan In The VI said...

Those look delicious. Good for my waist line that I don't have a waffle maker.

All Things Lush UK said...

They look absolutely delicious! I've been meaning to make waffles for so long (as long as I've been vegan actually) and this sounds like a perfect way to reduce my rather large collection of sweet potatoes! Thank you!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, those sound awesome!