Sunday, December 27, 2009

Xmas Recap

There are few things I love more than food and presents, so as you can imagine, Xmas is one of my favorite holidays. I don't really get into the religious aspect of the day. I'm far more interested in stuffing my face with my family ... and of course, opening and giving gifts.

On Xmas Eve, my parents, my boyfriend, and I had dinner at Chili's in my Arkansas hometown, where I enjoyed some scrumptious veggie fajitas with corn tortillas (their flour tortillas are not vegan, fyi). Then we went back to my parents' house and opened gifts. I got an Excalibur food dehydrator (expect lots of raw goodness soon!), a new Nikon zoom lens for my D60, lots of clothes from Delia's, a Vegetarian Times cookbook, a set of pots and pans, and some more fun stuff.

I gave my mom this hula hoop, created by local hula hoop gang the Hooper Troopers. My mom is a hula hoop champion ... just look:

After presents, my best friend Sheridan came over to exchange gifts with me. She made me a punk rock prom dress (for fun dress-up time!) and gave me Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa and Terry. So of course, we immediately baked up some Peanut Butter Blondies from the book:

And then we stuffed our faces. Here's Sheridan:

These blondies were so super peanut buttery and chewy. Perfect! I can't wait to get this blondie in my mouth:

On Xmas morning, we woke up early for our annual Xmas breakfast at Granny's house. In case you haven't heard, I have one awesome granny. She's totally embraced my veganism, and she's helping create delicious desserts for my cookbook. She even keeps vegan margarine and soymilk on hand at all times. Here's Granny with my Pa:

While everyone else noshed on eggs, ham, and non-vegan biscuits and gravy, I enjoyed my own vegan breakfast plate (most of which my mom cooked up the night before so I'd have something to easily re-heat):

There's a tofu scramble, Gimme Lean Lightlife sausage, and biscuits and gravy (made with evil, but tasty white flour ... hey, it's Xmas, I can have white flour if I want). Also, Granny made some tasty hash browns that made it to my plate a little later.

I had a great Xmas. I hope ya'll did too!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool that your grandma is supportive of you being vegan! those pb blondies look really good!

Leslie Richman said...

Happy Christmas!!

Tanya said...

Wow...sounds like you had an awesome time! And you also got some amazing gifts....yay! Happy New Year :)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I got an Excalibur dehydrator, too! Kale chips, here we come! ;)

Please post a photo of you in the new dress...sounds rockin'!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Christmas has nothing to do with religion in this house, it is all about the fun and food and magical spirit of the holidays! You are so lucky that so many of your family members are supportive of your veganism, that must be nice! Merry Christmas!

ZippyZu said...

I love your supportive family!! I should have thought of a hula hopp for my mom.. thats a great jump start to a heathy new year- and a ton of fun! I'm getting an excalibur as well- so I'll be waiting to see what yummy things you will be uncooking so I can make some too! Happy Holidays :)

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

Thanks for the sharing of your great holiday.

Mary said...

Sounds delicious and fun! I can't wait to see what you do with your dehydrator!

Miss Kitchen Witch said...

Your Christmas looks delicious and fun! I wanna see that prom dress!

o. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

woot to Granny & good friends!

um and yeah i demand to see that dress!!! ;)

xo

Sheridan said...

yay! I love Christmas with Bianca! I look forward to more cookies from that cookbook and I just emailed you a pic of the cute dress!

jessy said...

your mom was too sweet to make ya lots of vegan yummies to enjoy for breakfast with everyone! yay! it looks like you had a wonderful christmas, Bianca! hooray for family, fun, and lots of super tasty eatz. i need to get my hands on vciycj. awesomeness from delia's is always the best, and an Excalibur food dehydrator = the best ever!

Anonymous said...

think it's awesome that your mom rocked out on the hula hoop ANd that your grandma supports your vaganismness...happy holidays and enjoy....

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Sounds like you had a great Holiday!

Dani said...

aww your gramma sounds great! And your breakfast looks delicious. I've never had tofu scrambled "eggs" before, but now I want to. I can't wait til you publish your cookbook, I'll be the first one in line to buy it. We need a good soul food vegan cookbook.

Dani

T said...

You sure have awesome friends and family. And that breakfast looks like the ideal... gosh I love Gimme Lean.

Erin said...

Glad you had a great Christmas. Lucky you with the new dehydrator!