Sunday, September 20, 2009

I Would Do Anything for Love ... But I Won't Do That

My friend Greg and I went to a screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show a couple of weeks ago, and the appearance of Meatloaf as poor Eddie made me crave vegan loaf.

I had the vegan version of the classic retro loaf last Thursday night (yep, I'm a little behind on posting). The recipe for Diner Loaf came from The Healthy Hedonist by way of Amey's Gastronomus Maximus zine:

Oh my gawd, ya'll. This was the best vegan loaf I've ever tried! In the past, I've always made lentil loaves or hippie-like nut loaves. But this one was made with a base of Gimme Lean ground burger (the kind in the tube), tofu, oats, and walnuts. More meaty, for sure.

On the side, I had steamed kale and some local Corn with Garlic-Miso Dressing from Vegan Soul Kitchen:

I've blogged about this corn dressing before, but it's so tasty that I have to mention it again. Bryant Terry's miso-based spread is so much tastier and healthier than soy margarine. I doubt I'll ever butter my corn again when I have this option. This recipe alone is worth buying VSK for if you don't already own it.

18 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

We don't seem to have much corn left here, it's bumming me out!

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! I believe you when you say that is the best vegan meatloaf you've ever had, it looks awesome! The meatier the better!

And wow, that miso sauce sounds just wonderful. Maybe I do need to get that cookbook!

Lisa said...

what an awesome looking meal! We recently saw a live production of Rocky Horror Show and it was a lot of fun.

Happy Older Hippie Woman! said...

The Ultimate Comfort Food! I love "meat"loaf and this post is great. This loaf looks so firm and substantial - and I love miso as a base for sauces! There's still corn around up here, soon to go, but I have some in the fridge.
Another cookbook to consider - my shelf is creaking already!!

T said...

Oooh, that looks phenomenal. Gimme lean is heavenly, and I love anything with miso.

Yay Rocky Horror! There used to be a theater in ATL that played it every friday night and it was so fun!

Mary said...

I'm wondering why the man chose Meatloaf as his stage name? Anyway, good lookin' dinner!

Leslie Richman said...

I have Vegan Soul Kitchen from the library right now. I will have to copy that miso sauce recipe. I can't wait to make the sweet potatoes and cocnut milk too.

Charlotte said...

You know, I don't think I've had a meatloaf-style vegan loaf once in the eight years that I've been vegan... I should give that a try.

Your other post on Vegan Soul Kitchen made me want the cookbook. Maybe when I'm ready to splurge again. Looking good!

Sheridan said...

Now, THAT'S a delicious looking southern meal! Mmm Mmm good!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

MMM, love the dressing, especially!!

Jenny said...

That DOES look amazing! yum! going ot have to get that cook book for sure. thank u :)

A said...

I love the idea of using different flavorings on corn! I just had corn the other day.... too bad I didn't see this first. I'll just HAVE to pick up some more soon! Also, the loaf looks awesome!
-A

nora said...

Yeah, all the VSK recipes I've seen look so great! Thanks for the rec. Do I reallllly need another cookbook though?

I love hippie loaves, of any form. :)

Theresa said...

That corn looks incredible. And the loaf looks pretty good, too!

Mike K said...

Yes! Way to go with the Rocky Horror - meatloaf link. One of my best friends is a huge Meatloaf fan, and not at all in an ironic way. Funny where we find inspiration, huh? The food looks delicious.

Cyn said...

You know, I've never made a vegan meatloaf. That looks so good, I totally need to make one now.

jessy said...

dan & i haven't had vegan meatsie loaf in forever - i think we need to have some soon! i need to get Amey's zine AND vegan soul kitchen! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

would you believe i've never seen rocky horror picture show!?! i think i need to netflix it & check it out. yay!

dietplainlite said...

This is perfect timing. The leaves are already changing up here and I've been craving comfort food.