Monday, February 9, 2009

Oh Billy! Beer Chili

My parents discovered the wonders of beer chili on a recent trip to the Spaghetti Warehouse. They both ordered plates of spaghetti topped with tangy beer chili and melted cheese, and now they can't get enough. My mom decided to recreate the dish at home, and while searching for a meat recipe, she came across this vegan recipe for Oh Billy! Beer Chili.

She printed it off Veg Web and gave it to me. I made it last night and served it over whole wheat spaghetti:

This stuff is so awesome! It's got a whole tube of Gimme Lean sausage, two kinds of beans, and a can of Papst Blue Ribbon Light (my favorite cheap beer!). I love the way the beer gives the chili a tangy taste, and it was even more delicious for leftovers today.

The only change I made to the recipe was halving the hot sauce (it calls for 1/4 cup!) and omitting the cup of water, which it calls for in addition to the can of beer. It seemed like water would lessen the beer's intense flavor and really water down the chili. I like mine thick!

Later this week, I'll definitely be using this chili as a topping for homemade oven-baked French fries.

Note to the testers: I have FINALLY posted a couple new recipes on the tester site!

21 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this idea! Thanks for the link. I've never added beer to chili but like it in stew when I've tried that before.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, chili.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wowza!!

Anonymous said...

I've never tried beer chili. Wait, I live in Germany, I should try it, right? Especially when it looks so beautiful!

MeloMeals said...

Yum! Total comfort food!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Beer chili! Yes! And I really love your idea to top fries with this chili. Pure genius!

Jen said...

dang. perhaps i could try beer chili with the spouse, but i don't eat things with alcohol in them, even if it's cooked. allergy issues.

i'm glad you're back online. as for beets, i just can't make myself like them. i guess every vegan has their vegetable they can't make themselves like.

now, to go to the tester blog...

jessy said...

that is a lot of hot sauce! wowzers! i would have halved it as well - good call! beer + chili sounds so damn delicious! i love me some pbr, too! yay!

totally going to check out the tester recipes & make them this coming week! wahoooooo! thanks, Bianca! :D

Unknown said...

that sounds delicious!! i wouldnt even think of adding beer to something like that. oh and heck yeah blue ribbon! lol i feel like everyone here at college loves it ;)

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

yumm chilli!!!

haha papbs blue!!! def a favorite beer of my boyfriends when he is tight for cash hahaha

J said...

I love me some chili, I should probably make sure to have it a time or two more before the weather starts to get warm again (I know its only February but it is 70 degrees here today). I would have never thought to put beer in chili, I bet that does add some yumminess!

Tami said...

That chili spaghetti sounds and looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I always put beer in my chili, it makes it so good! Try putting a stout in next time, it will make it extra delicious.

T said...

I like my chili thick too- this looks awesome! Plus it gives you an excuse to buy some PBR- oh, the college memories I have with that beer!

Gina said...

Bianca, this sounds so yummy!! Especially because I am super hungry right now ::pouts::

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

My husband would be all over beer chili!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

beer needs to find its way into more food.

Anonymous said...

looks delicious :)

Mike K said...

PBR and chili is a beautiful idea! That Gimme Lean sausage is good stuff too - I bet this was delicious.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Oh Billy! That's hilarious! It looks fantabulous!

aTxVegn said...

I love this chili recipe! I agree chili should be really thick. I also think chili should be hot, but a 1/4 cup hot sauce does sound like an awful lot!