Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama-rama!

Not to get all Michelle Obama on ya'll, but I can honestly say that for the first time in my life, I'm proud to be American. I've never been a fan of the country's imperialist attitude toward other countries. And even though I did love Bill Clinton back in the day, my anarchist tendencies wouldn't allow me to embrace America back then. I was just born here. I'd rather live somewhere else, like Holland, the U.K., or maybe Canada.

But last night, seeing Barack's name and face next to the words "President Elect" on CNN was purely magic. I have faith that the American people are finally ready to stop making stupid political choices based on crazy religious fanatacism. And I believe that we're finally on the path to realizing Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream of equality. Today is a good day!

It also didn't hurt that California's Prop 2 passed, banning gestation crates and battery cages on factory farms in that state. Now if only the rest of the country can follow their lead. Score one for animal rights!

On those happy notes, I'll share my food with you. This morning, I dined on Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits, Diced Tofu Ham, and Red-Eye Gravy:

All three recipes are in my cookbook, but I usually don't cube the tofu before baking it in the ham marinade. All Kroger had on Sunday night was Nasoya Cubed Tofu, so I had diced ham. Red-eye gravy is a Southern delicacy typically made with strong black coffee and ham grease. But I used olive oil, some of the tofu ham marinade, and fair trade, locally-roasted coffee. The gravy is awesome for dipping biscuits and dunking "ham."

For dinner, I needed to use up some eggplant and ripe summer tomatoes that my Granny gave me last weekend. She gave me a TON of tomatoes, and since they're the last summer tomatoes I'll probably see, I wanted to do something special with them. So I whipped up this Whole Wheat Linguini with Eggplant, Tomato, and Red Wine Marinara:

Basically, I just sauteed two cubed eggplants (I don't salt and drain first cause I'm lazy like that), added 4 cloves of garlic and 4 diced tomatoes. While it simmered, I seasoned the sauce with salt, a teaspoon of turbinado, a sprinkle of dried basil, and a generous splash of shiraz.

After I took the picture, I added some Parma and grated Teese and stirred it in so it would get all melty.

20 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looove those biscuits and the pasta!!

Anonymous said...

O0o those biscuit look delish!


I said the same thing yesterday!! I am actually proud to be an American now =)
YAY OBAMA!

MeloMeals said...

Woohoo about Obama! I am sooo happy I can barely stand it. Finally

I love love love eggplant and tomatoes together..

I've never had the red eye gravy.. I'll bet its good.. I use coffee in BBQ sauce often..

Leslie Richman said...

+1 on feeling insanely happy and optimistic. And yay for red eye gravy...your cookbook is sounding like something I need in my kitchen.

J said...

It feels good to be an American right now - which hasn't been the case as of late, perhaps not in my lifetime.

Red-eye gravy? I've never heard of that, at first it sounded really weird to me, but now I am curious. Hmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a happy election outcome! That gravy sounds fabulous--never heard of it before. And tell us more about this cookbook--?!

Alicia said...

I'm glad to see you're celebrating with yummy food as usual!

Anonymous said...

It's crazy how comforting it is to see so many of us state that we are proud to be Americans now. I feel the same way (I thought I was the only one!). I used to want to move to another country, and was ready to pack my bags if we were faced with the doom of the old man and loony lady leading the country. But, phew! Good things do happen!!!!!!!!! And good food happens in you kitchen!

T said...

I am totally with you on Obama! I have a friend in Germany who told me the newspaper there said: "With his speech, Obama awakens a new America!"

And maybe a more animal-friendly America? I love how Obama is getting a rescued puppy for his girls.

And anyways, the food looks great! Anything with coffee in it has me hooked.

nora said...

i seriously woke up wednesday morning and for a second, thought it was a dream. i've had dreams that he won before and woke up and been like, "man!" but this time i realized it was true! i even checked online to make sure! haha
i'm so excited to spend the best years of my life under an obama presidency!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm still freaking excited. I'm not going to be all Pollyanna and think that he's not a politician and is as rotten as most politicians, but DAMN, this is the first time since I was a wee child that I am proud to have a US passport!

alaina said...

that gravy sounds awesome! i can't believe i'm southern and have never had it before.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Your cookbook is going to be a total HIT, woman!
YAY for change and hope!

Anonymous said...

Yay Obama! And yay for your breakfast. Red eye gravy sounds delicious.

Unknown said...

I so dig the drawing of the paw and fist, it resonates. ya know?
I'm proud of you guys for electing Obama!!

Mike K said...

I just need to second everything you said about the Obama election - I didn't think we would make it until I saw the results on Tuesday. A few years ago, I really didn't think we would ever see a day like this in America. Thanks for all the great posts, and I can't wait for the cookbook.

Mike K said...

Forgot this - I love the paw and fist image. If my philosophy could be expressed in a drawing, that's it.

Brad and Ahnah said...

I am so glad to know some other folks who went for Obama around here!!! It makes this are not so hellish.........=)

I did not sleep at all election night, and I'm pretty sure my downstairs neighbors wearied quickly of me jumping up and down.

jessy said...

yay for Obama! man, every time i see him or hear his name i can't help but smile! i'm so happy!

i'm digg'n the tofu ham. mmmmmmm! your biscuits and linguine look too perfect, Bianca. i know i always say this, but i can't wait for your cookbook. it's gonna be one glorious magical cookbook of yumminess, indeed!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I felt the same way after the election. I certainly hope it's not the last time I feel that pride...but just the start of things to come.

Cannot wait till you release your cookbook!!