Saturday, August 23, 2008

Chickpea Cutlets Revisited

I've been eating leftover Chickpea Cutlets for days, and though I'm not tired them, I've been trying to find new ways to use them. Last night, I added the last cutlet to this yummy Curried Pattypan Squash and "Chicken" Sauté over Quinoa:


I'd been sitting on a lovely white pattypan squash from the farmer's market for a few weeks, and it needed to be consumed. So I cut off the thick winter squash skin and stir-fried it up with garlic. I chopped the cutlet up and added it and the raisins in the last few minutes of cooking. Wow! This was super tasty. I love any combination of veggies and curry.

Curried Pattypan Squash and "Chicken" Sauté over Quinoa
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 cup quinoa, cooked
1 pattypan squash, cubed (or any winter squash)
1 Chickpea Cutlet (from the Veganomicon) or another chicken substitute, diced
1/4 cup raisins
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. safflower oil
Curry powder
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Veggie Broth
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in a skillet, and add garlic. Cook one minute, and then add squash. As squash begins to soften, add curry powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper (all to taste). Cook about 10 to 15 minutes or until squash becomes very soft.

If squash begins to stick to the pan, deglaze pan with a splash of veggie broth. Add cutlets and raisins. Continue adding veggie broth as needed to prevent sticking (this allows you to not use so much oil).

When raisin have plumped, squash is soft, and all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and serve over quinoa.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, I LOVE the mix of spices and ingredients in that dish - yum!

sarchan said...

I love me some curry; that looks delicous.

Anonymous said...

mmm curry AND chickpeas?? together!?! I just might have to try this miraculous combination myself hehe

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I reeeeaaally wish you would come cook for me, since I am so lazy and your food always looks so good (seriously, it's one of the blogs that makes me the hungriest!)

Brad and Ahnah said...

Hmmmmmmmm....... I picked up another patty pan squash and was just wondering what to cook with it.

Yikes!! That is steep on the the dinner. Maybe we should go and pick up some good wine, prepare some food and find a place to do our own.

Alicia said...

If I'm ever brave enough to buy a patty pan squash, now I will now what to do with it! It looks scrumptious!

VeganCowGirl said...

I am RUNNING to the market right NOW! To get myself a squash so that I might steal that recipe and have myself a little feast.

Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I had to google pattypan to see what it was! I luv learning new stuff, thanks Bianca :)!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

yummm that dish sounds great!!! your food is always sounds ridiculously tasty!!!
IVE MISSED YOUR BLOG!!!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Wow. Interesting.
I have pattypans (or what the vendors CALL pattypans) at my Farmer's Market and they are tender little soft-skinned things, like a summer squash. Beautiful little things, I cook 'em like zucchini, I don't think the'd stand up very well in this dish, I'd need to find something more winter-squash like - and around here evidently pattypans aren't 'winter" squash.

Anonymous said...

Great way to use up your squash and leftover cutlets! Curries are so versatile and always so delicious.

Erin said...

Chickpea cutlets are pretty much good in any form. That looks like a great meal! When I finally have my own kitchen again I totally plan on making a triple batch and sticking them in the freezer, just to have. I like to cut them into strips and dip in ketchup, like chicken fingers.